what to do with my a/c and heater box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Doober said:
It looks about ten times cleaner than the factory setup, that's for sure. Are you going with one of the cowl extension pieces like you can get from GBodyParts.com?

Yeah, although I bought mine from TR Custom Parts long ago. It's how I'm hiding the EFI wiring harness.

I thought it looked a little vertical compared to sitting flush on the firewall... I don't see why it couldn't be extended a little more to make room for the glove box... unless parts of the A/C/heater unit hit the plate, which looks very possible.

The problem is that as it sits right now, I had to notch the box to clear the back of the head. You could possibly tilt it so that the passenger side of the box sticks out farther into the engine bay and then pull the drivers side in further.

85elcoSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2010
where can i find a factory non a/c one? I like to have the heat and it still looks good. let me know if there is a place i can get one. :D

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Junkyard, Ebay... There's no one reproducing these that I know of. At least not all of the internals as well (ductwork, controls, etc.).

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
My first non a/c set up came out of my '81 El Camino that I parted out and put everything in my 442.

I bought the second one from fellow member here [email protected] for my Cutlass wagon and was very happy.

They can be hard to find, but they're still out there. Most often found in cars from the northern regions.
It makes the swap a 100 times easier if you get the complete set up out of the same make of car as yours, due to some of the pieces (dash related) that vary from brand to brand.

Chevy stuff in my 442 made it a b*tch to find the last few correct pieces.
The one I got from Mickey came from another Olds... Much easier.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
I do have a system swap available, I do not have any dash vent delete panels available.

If anyone is interested contact me, I have listing this on ebay(ends 2-6-10), opening bid will be $250 with $75 flat rate shipping. I have added the option to Buy-it-now, so it may end earlier. Check it out in the "auction links".
pics109.jpg

pics101.jpg

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I removed my A/C and heater box and will keep it out, at least for now. The reasons: 1) knocked a chunk out removing engine/transmission. 2) Diverter barley moved from floor to dash vents. Had the same problem w/ my 81 Cutty. The vaccum operation had issues. 3) A/C had a leak somewhere. Was converted to R134, but needed refilled every year.

I had contemplated looking for a S-10 A/C box to see how big it was or some other compact car/truck.

85elcoSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2010
I removed the inner wheel well last night. I see that a bundle of wires come out of the firewall just below the heater a/c box. what are these wires for? can I remove them?? :?:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That bundle of wires should be the computer harness. If you are not useing a computer, go ahead and yank them out. just be sure to plug the hole so no water runs in. Mickiez40oz, are you saying the glove box is different from AC and non-AC? I didn't know that, I guess I should hang on to that too.

85elcoSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
That bundle of wires should be the computer harness. If you are not useing a computer, go ahead and yank them out. just be sure to plug the hole so no water runs in. Mickiez40oz, are you saying the glove box is different from AC and non-AC? I didn't know that, I guess I should hang on to that too.
well I havent removed the computer. the wires have a plug at the end that i unhooked some smog stuff from so now there is just a plug there. I have a jump wire coming from the plug to my heater fan so would most of those wires be for my a/c smog stuff or are they coming from my computer? where is the computer located at? Thanks for the help guys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor