What was the stock Trans w/ a 305 for a 81 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeisengart

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2009
St.Pete Florida
What was the stock trans with 305 motor? I have th400 the might go in but I was told that I might half to change the cross member. I want to put a 350 block in. Any suggestion?

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
if its a three speed most likely a TH350. If I recall the 200r4 came into play in 1982 so most likely its not one of those. To change into a TH400 some modifications would most likely be required in the drive shaft length, cross member, and maby even the shifter linkage setup underneath would differ.....

eeisengart

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2009
St.Pete Florida
Ok thanks for the info.Well at least I have a core. I want to put back what was there. Would a 350block mount to a th350 trans?

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
yes the TH350 will bolt up to any Chevy small block. With GM the only trans in the year of car you are talking about that may not bolt up are the Buick Olds Pontiac pattern trannys which only bolt up to B-O-P motors, which is not your case because you have the chevy 305.

this helped me out a bit....its really good if you've seen what your transmission looks like

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/iden ... index.html

eeisengart

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2009
St.Pete Florida
Wow, thanks for that link that does help. My step Dad is giving me a 350 block to be rebuild of course but not until next summer. I might just go to LKQ get something there. I realized the other day that if I don't find a lot of random parts to turn in I will be eating a lot of core charges. :x

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
Stock 5th gen El Camino came with 200r4 and a th350 will fit in perfectly with no mods. They are basically the same trans just that 200 has overdrive and th350 does not. So your choice.

Second if you do more highway driving then 200r4 is the best choice for you. If you do more street driving then th350 is better. If your going to drag race either one will do fine.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
Also a point to look out for As I mislabeled my transmission for about 5 years- for a couple of years the TH350 was offered with a Lock up TC, known as the TH350C which to me looks identical to the TH350 when its in the car. The only way I can tell is the input shaft has an o-ring on the end....I'm thinking it was available 1980-1981 with the complete change over in GM to the 200r4 happening in 1982, but I'm not completely positive. Im only half there. :rofl:

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I think you guys are missing a transmission that was put in these cars across the board, the TH200. Not worth more than a paperweight, but they are still around in these things.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
quite right. they're the black sheep - people don't like to mention using them.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor