What would you pay for a '71 Buick 455?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I came across someone trying to sell a running '71 deuce for the eng/trans. He wants me to make an offer so I need some input from you guys. I don't want to spend an arm & a leg, but if it's cheap I'd grab it for a future project.

i would say $200 and a handy-jay, but im just weird :rofl: i actually have no idea.

Assuming it's a Skylark you could make a few bones on the body parts. I wouldn't go over $300 for just the engine. Unless it had super low miles. If you want this for a project remember, Buick parts are not cheap. Worth it? definitely. I'm a Potniac guy myself, but I love The Buick Big Block.

RegalBegal said:
If you want this for a project remember, Buick parts are not cheap.

This is true. I do know they're a little lighter than the other big blocks and put out some decent torque though. The car is a '71 Electra and I found it on a demo derby site just like my Pontiac 455. The car hasn't been ran in a derby, but the body is only worth scrap to me since it's a 4 door and seen better days. He's been trying to sell the car since October so I'm hoping he's ready to let it go for a good price. With the economy being tough and the fact that I don't really need it, I'll pass if he's too proud of it.

I think y'all are dreaming if you think you can get that engine for $300 ... I sold my Buick 350 for $600 a couple of years ago (oil pan to intake) I would say it is worth aboslutely no less than $600 and that would be a great deal.

$300? that's like what people sell complete small block Chevy's for that need rebuilt. Give it some respect guys :!: You don't see these engines laying around everywhere. I guess more power to you if the guy will sell it to you for $300 though :roll:

Here in Atlanta you get a 4-bolt main stock SBC 350 (complete but needs rebuild) for $150 if you know the right people. So $300 for a 455 sounds about right down here. I had a guy that backed out selling me his 71 electra for $700 a few months ago..only because he was still holding onto memories..money wasn't the issue at all...You still have people who think these OLD motors should bring in this top dollar but for the money you're gonna spend rebuilding you're better off getting a complete LS drop in for $1400.

The Buick and Olds 455's really aren't that hard to find. Pontiacs are a little tougher to come by though.

Ever since cash for clunkers sh*t on the used parts industry, people being out of work, and the economy going to hell; people think they're sitting on a goldmine with everything they sell. I know you guys see it too. When the hell did 4 door, V6 g-bodies become worth $3K????????

I told him it's a $500 car to me and offered to let him keep the body for scrap or sell it for a demo car. I even offered to pull it! He can take it or leave it since I don't really need it anyway. I'm not unreasonable, but I'm not going to get f*cked either.

lg1200 said:
but for the money you're gonna spend rebuilding you're better off getting a complete LS drop in for $1400.

Exactly! For a half decent rebuild on any 455....meaning quality machine work, good forged pistons, rods, SS valves, rebuilt heads, etc you're going to be in it upwards of $3k easily. If you want a roller valve train add another $1k to that. Since Buick has the least amount of aftermarket support they cost even more.

People are still trying to sell late 60's 327's & double hump heads like they're gold too.

Is the body and floor pans and everything just rotted out on this car :?:

I personally like the '71 Buick Electra 2dr/4dr. I like the big boat cars from the 70's. With an engine rated at 315hp/450ft.lbs of torque. No disrespect to you "G-Body_Vet" but if that was my car I would have laughed at you if you offered me $500 for that car :| The seller doesn't care if you don't want the car. The seller is trying to sell a car :idea:

Just my thoughts on that :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor