What would you pay for a '71 Buick 455?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure he wants to talk now, it's winter and he's cold and hungry.That's why I shop for outboard motors when it's the dead of winter. Here's why I would love to stash a 71' Buick 455- low compression, big valve heads, over square torque monster, lightest weight production 455, fits any rear wheel drive car, HEI backfits easily, uses a Q-jet, and there's just enough aftermarket stuff to make it interesting. A little known tidbit is that when the EPA regulated lead out of the gas, the automakers had to lower the compression ratios but they had to keep the auto buying public happy. So they upped the performance using a slightly hotter cam and good heads so the motors felt as strong as before. This worked in 71' and 72' but after that, all deals were off with the exception of Pontiac's 73' and 74' Super Duty 455.

Bonnewagn, I agree on all point except one just wondering why you would prefer low compression? You want to use it for towing with 87? Cam wise the very best factory cams of the day have been way exceeded by the aftermarket since so its sort of mute unless a person wants to just run it as is. More compression up to the point of pre-detonation is more efficiency of burn for both better power and better mileage. When I build something its at least 10.0-1 and runs safely on 91 or better.

Bonnewagon said:
Sure he wants to talk now, it's winter and he's cold and hungry.That's why I shop for outboard motors when it's the dead of winter. Here's why I would love to stash a 71' Buick 455- low compression, big valve heads, over square torque monster, lightest weight production 455, fits any rear wheel drive car, HEI backfits easily, uses a Q-jet, and there's just enough aftermarket stuff to make it interesting. A little known tidbit is that when the EPA regulated lead out of the gas, the automakers had to lower the compression ratios but they had to keep the auto buying public happy. So they upped the performance using a slightly hotter cam and good heads so the motors felt as strong as before. This worked in 71' and 72' but after that, all deals were off with the exception of Pontiac's 73' and 74' Super Duty 455.

Yep, those are the same reasons that got me interested in Buicks to begin with. The same applies to the 350 being light weight. I always wondered why more people didn't go with a Buick 350 when yanking the 231's. Very easy swap instead of going the SBC route.

dogshit said:
Bonnewagn, I agree on all point except one just wondering why you would prefer low compression? You want to use it for towing with 87? Cam wise the very best factory cams of the day have been way exceeded by the aftermarket since so its sort of mute unless a person wants to just run it as is. More compression up to the point of pre-detonation is more efficiency of burn for both better power and better mileage. When I build something its at least 10.0-1 and runs safely on 91 or better.

I think he's a fan of the low CR for the 87 octane. I recall him referring to running cars on "rat-piss" gas before :lol:

If I end up getting this engine (suppose to have 70k on it), I may just go with an aluminum intake, hei, and just freshen up the gaskets when the time comes. I won't know until I get a chance to check it out. I'm still spending on my Poncho 455 and it's sucking me dry by itself. I went further than usual putting my GP together so the next project will be a fast, down & dirty swap like I used to do.

Yes indeed I love low compression. Around here, the cheapest rat -piss gas is always hovering between $3.50 and $4. and 93 is always over $4, often by a LOT. It really pisses me off to shoot $50 into my gas tank when it could otherwise buy a shitload of beer. As a plus, you can run more timing advance, higher temp thermostat, leaner carb jetting, conservative highway gearing, and all those things that would normally cause the motor to ping. Yes you can build a motor to run higher compression, but I usually run em' as I find them and a dead stock Buick 455 would be a wonderful motor in these cars right out of the box. Also none of my cars are garaged waiting for a nice day to come by, they are all workers and are used year round'. Even my go-to-work 81' Malibu wagon with Pontiac 400 was only 8.5 compression, but it had a nice Crane cam, true duals, a worked Q-jet, and was very hard to beat.

I understand cheap and run it as is. I have done lots of that. But if I am spending the money work & time rebuilding it. Its going to beat the stocker to the party store. And the 17 mpg hwy my drove in the winter electric choke Q-jet 509 powered Cutty got on 89 wasn't to hateful.

I agree, a built motor done up right is always better. But I do a lot of engine swapping for various reasons and I find that most times it's best to leave the long block alone if it is healthy. I used to call it my "$100 tune up" with a refreshed carb, dizzy, timing set, oil pump, water pump, plugs and wires. Of course it's more costly nowadays, but a solid JY motor can give many years of service with a little investment and TLC.

Wasn't the 71 455 the first 800 cfm Qjet?

olds307 and 403 said:
Wasn't the 71 455 the first 800 cfm Qjet?

I believe so. I don't think the 800cfm with the APT screw came out until about '75 though. i could be wrong....and probably am!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor