What's bent on my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutlass3800

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2009
I recently purchased an 81 Malibu because the body was in really good shape. There's no sign of any work having been done in the last decade (except a quck weld on the skin of the door), but several things are kind of off about the car.

First of all, there is an obvious, but slight, crumple on the drivers front fender.
drivers-fender.jpg

The header panel, headlight bezel and the bumper appear to be in good shape, but the header panel is sitting about an inch and a half too far back from the bumper. You can see where there is a crack on the top of the header panel so I'm thinking it's the piece doing all the flexing.
Drivers Side:
driverside-header-panel.jpg

Compare that to the Passengers Side:
passengerside-header-panel.jpg

The drivers door has split and been welded, but when you open the door all the way, the inside and outside of the door kind of flex - probably what caused the outside skin of the door to split in the first place. There are two shims on the top hinge and two shims on the bottom hinge. The door opens and closes good.
Drivers-door-welded.jpg

Last of all, I have 26" tall 225/70R15 tires front and back, but when I turn sharp to the left, the passenger front tire rubs on the sway bar. They don't rub anywhere else or when I turn sharp to the right.

Is the tire rub because the body is not sitting square on the frame? Why did the door skin split and why does it feel like its twisting itself apart when fully opened? Did the accident that caused the little crumple in the front fender cause all of this other stuff or is none of it connected?

Sorry for long post and thanks for any insight you can provide.

It looks like your bumper is just pushed in on the passenger side. Get behind it and kick it forward on the end, just don't hit the fender.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 158
yeah its BFH time, thats big f-ing hammer time. Just dont hit the fender like jrm81bu said. Kicking it might work, but if it doesnt, get out the BFH and something to put over the bumper so you dont mar it up.

yes, ive accomplished it before on my 1982 olds cutlass that got in a little fender bender and shoved the rear bumper in. A good ol hammer to the back bumper support knocked the bumper right back out even though the shock had collapsed maybe and inch or so.

pontiacgp said:
I've never taken a bumper shock apart....what's in em....oil, air or a spring?

I always thought they were oil, but I am not positive. I am pretty sure once they are damaged they can not be fixed.

I'm thinking if it gets hit and collapses then even if it's moved out to it's original length if it gets hit again the shock won't serve it purpose and body damage will occur. It's not a major job or complicated to change a bumper shock and it's alot easier than body work so I'd be changing the shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor