What's it worth??? [pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsobieski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2012
During the summer break, I purchased a non-running 307 cutlass as a project car. Fast forward a few months and thousands of dollars and I have a complete 455 daily driver. I've racked up around 1,000 miles on the rebuilt 455 :( but unfortunately I have to sell the entire car to make room for an inherited 85' camaro from my uncle that means much more to me than this cutlass. I don't know what to ask for because I haven't seen any other cars like mine to compare to. What's the going market price for a bb gbody in this condition? I'm in the Cincinnati area btw. I just need a round-about estimate so I know what a reasonable asking price is. Hopefully it goes to a good owner and doesn't get dunked with 24's on vine st. :(

outsidehooddown.jpg

The paint is faded but the body is straight.
holley.jpg

The engine bay is all black with 307 valve covers to give the illusion it's not a big block. The internals are stock. Performer intake/ repo WZ manifolds.
engineairfilter.jpg

Everything is new. Plugs/wires/hoses/fuel pump/carb/radiator/belts etc.
image.jpg

Nothing special - a J head motor.
seatposition.jpg

I actually have a rallye pack gauge cluster in the back seat but I instead decided to do something different.
fullexhaust.jpg

The most interesting (embarassing?) project on the car was the exhaust. I wasn't sure if an aftermarket setup would bolt to the w/z manifolds or not so I bought 2 mufflers and piping and made it myself. GForce crossmember.

* I just replaced all the front suspension/steering components with all MOOG parts ~$500. The car drives like new, downshifts, everything works (no A/C tho), I drive it back and forth to school. Trans is a TH350. No bumps/rattles/ this car is a totally solid driver that can be driven today. It really hurts to sell my dearest child but it's something I have to do :\

kingsobieski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2012
More pics

seats.jpg

60/40 6way power matching Regal frt/back seats

sideexhaust.jpg

My proud exhaust work. 2 1/2 pipes into Thrush welded mufflers. The W/Z manifolds are ported to 2 1/2. Exhaust exits behind the front doors. It's a little loud but has a nice stereo effect.

tach.jpg

Installed this tach a couple days ago before I found out about the camaro. It's easy to see from the driving position. All my wiring is terminated/soldered/heat shrinked and the wiring is fully removeable with no damage to the factory harness.

outsidehoodup.jpg

Other side of the car.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This is always a hard question to answer since values vary so much by region. In the NW you would probably have a hard time getting more than 4K for it...probably closer to 3K. I know it's hard to hear (because I'm sure you have much more into it) but that's just the market here. There was a nice '80 with new black paint and a 455 swap that was listed for 3 months at 4K. There was also a REALLY nice '78 with similar upgrades to yours but nicer wheels and paint (fresh "built" Olds 350) that was listed at 8K, then 7, then 6. The ad was up for 6 months. Not sure that either cars actually sold. Gbody's are still pretty common up here because our stuff doesn't get rusty like most other parts of the country. Your area may be totally different.

All that being said, I have a couple suggestions to maximize profit. I really like the way you kept a sleeper look with the engine. I'd like to see a stock air cleaner to complete the theme. The exhaust probably sounds great but it would appear more "finished" to route the pipes out the back. I also don't think the aftermarket gauges make the best impression. Might be worth taking the time to install the Ralley Pac set. Or maybe just remove the tach and replace the panel. Last thing is the wheels. Do you have all the trim and caps? Looks pretty unfinished the way they are. I hope you don't think I'm knocking your car -- because I really do like it. It's just sending mixed messages though. Part of it says hotrod and the other part says sleeper.

kingsobieski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2012
I appreciate the input. I'm taking a loss by selling the car but I was also thinking between 3-4k. The wheel trim is in the trunk - I removed it all after I lost a center cap. I ran the pipes that way cause it was easy. 8)

kingsobieski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2012
I posted the car on craigslist @ 4.5K. Of course, if anyone on this board is interested send me a PM and we'll work out a better price.

Rasheerh

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2007
Cincinnati, oh
damn i live in cincinnati and if i had the money id get this in a flash

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
You'd be luck to get $2500 to $3000 for it... these cars are plentyful on the market.
Craigslist is full of them...
Issues:
No t-tops/buckets/console
J headed 455
No 8.5 rear or TH400

Plus side it's clean and has a euro header but tragically some one will most likely buy it, throw 24's on it and paint it with a Huggies Diaper logo :roll:

It's a nice start, clean body, decent interior and good suspension.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
The odd thing is that every one on here always says there so plentiful still yet everywhere..that's honestly not the case around here..They have nearly all been scraped or used for a race car! any parts that I find are in junkyards that have been there for years or simply just someone that is willing to sell parts to me before they scrap one out. theres only two or three junkyards that still have them and havent already scraped them within 70 miles of my house.

I seen you were from cincy, which is not too far off..Your situation might be the same as here ?

With that said, I'd say 2,500 to 3k is ok.

kingsobieski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2012
Well, last week I attempted to drive an 85' Camaro with a 486 that's been sitting in a barn for a year three hours back home. Broke down an hour into the trip - it wasn't pumping gas anymore. I towed it to my brother's house and last night I went to his house to retrieve the car. Arrived at 8pm just in time to change the fuel pump in complete darkness on a gravel driveway (external pump). Mounted a fuel regulator and drove it home. (nothing in the car works - gauge lights either :shock: ) Funny thing - the pump wasn't actually bad but the fuel line was pinched from where it was bent too far :p changed the pump anyways for peace of mind. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor