What's the difference between these motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
I'm looking into doing a LS swap in my malibu and was wondering what the difference was between the 5.3 and 6.0 motor? What trans would work better in the swap also? What gears should I go with in the rear? It's gonna be a weekend cruiser and every now and then maybe take it to the track to see what it gots. :wtf: I just want to do it right the first time GBF.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
more power out of the box in a 6.0. Swap would be the same. Rear gears dep on your trans and needs.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
axisg said:
more power out of the box in a 6.0. Swap would be the same. Rear gears dep on your trans and needs.

5.3 LS swaps are impressive (especially with a turbo) but if you're used to the torque of old school muscle like I am a 5.3 may disappoint you. Yes, with mods they can be quick in the quarter mile but unlike an Olds 403 or 455 they lack torque down low. It's just a different driving experience. A lot of guys that have done a 5.3 swap will tell you the same thing and if they had to do it over would go for bigger cubes.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Are you planning on running the pcm and fuel injection from the donor car or swapping to carb? Are you wanting stock power or thinking about throwing a cam and tune at it? Where i live 5.3s bring very little money but 6.0s bring double. If i were interested in doing a swap id probably throw a few bucks at the engine before i put it in so personally id buy a 5.3.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
As for the 5.3 I don't have any experience with but going with the 5.7 I did notice the lack of torque vs my old school sbc 350... Though I will admit it pulls waaaaay harder then the 350 at higher rpm's :wink: But I do miss the torque which is why I hope to build the 6.0 in my garage to a 408. I could only wonder what that would feel like once I swap gears to 4:10's :mrgreen: Then again it could change if I decide turbo or max n/a motor... so I'm gonna do some more research and start the 408 build and leave the ls1 somewhat stock and install it in my cutty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor