What's the different between 78 Monte vs 82 Monte?

gstrouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2023
Vintage Air is now offering a/c unit for 82-88 Monte Carlo. Just wondering if I could install this on my 78 Monte? Looks like the firewall is the same vs an 82. Not sure what fitment issues I would encounter.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Vintage Air is now offering a/c unit for 82-88 Monte Carlo. Just wondering if I could install this on my 78 Monte? Looks like the firewall is the same vs an 82. Not sure what fitment issues I would encounter.
When it comes to the firewall there's nothing different other than a lower hole for the ECM harness that has no affect on the heater-A/C installation. In the past few years these aftermarket companies have been getting "car guys" who know nothing about our cars & can't understand that they were listed as A bodies until '81 except the Grand Prix which has been listed as a G since '69 dispite being an A. The platform basic design is the same across the board for all RWD midsize cars from '78 to '87/'88.

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Mostly the cabin and associated sheet metal. Undo the frame bolts and various other connections, roll the 78 chassis out and the 82 in, and vice versa. Due to the shennanigans of GM corporate head office back then, the G's had different names and presumably came from different divisions but under the skin they were pretty much identical; the olds variant did come with different CIDS for its engines

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Did you ever find out if the 82-88 vintage air kit will work ? I want to do the same with my 79 Monte ( factory non ac car ) vintage air tech wasn’t a lot of help

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'll add something I'm starting to notice with year/model searches on certain site. It seems to be a thing to only go back to '82 & dropping all '81 & older. For us this offically seperates the A's from the G's. This adds to the new ignorance with parts people & those whare are suppose to know. Besides nothing will ever fit a Cutlass Supreme, now nothing fits anything '81 & older.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Also seeing that with a steering column project that i am working on. Oddly enough the turn signal stalk, which in the 80's started to contain the cruise control and w/shield wiper toggles as well, now seems to be only the later, snap in version and no reference to the earlier cruise only versions that were held in by a set screw. Moreover, if you google? or run a search for the earlier, the AI (short, I think, for A*** Idiot) it insists on warping the results to display products and items later and useless to what your needs are.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm hoping to do something similiar on an '80 Malibu. I haven't tried yet. The only difference I can tell, is that the '81 and newer Chevrolet instrument panel (Malibu and Monte Carlo) appears to have more room behind it on the passenger's side than the '80 and earlier Chev models. I don't know if the HVAC case is different on the '81 and newer cars. If it is, I don't see it being much different.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm hoping to do something similiar on an '80 Malibu. I haven't tried yet. The only difference I can tell, is that the '81 and newer Chevrolet instrument panel (Malibu and Monte Carlo) appears to have more room behind it on the passenger's side than the '80 and earlier Chev models. I don't know if the HVAC case is different on the '81 and newer cars. If it is, I don't see it being much different.
Both HVAC & heat only modules use the same specific units for '78-'88. The spare HVAC out of an '86 MC & one for my '81 MC with match the one in my boy's '79 MC. The only difference one will find is between each divisions duct work as these are dash specific besides heat for heat, HVAC for HVAC. One other poit to bring back up is heat only has a smaller glovebox bin. Another good note is the module to firewall gasket is HVAC or heat only specific so those repops are HVAC only.

Reactions: 3 users

gstrouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2023
Did you ever find out if the 82-88 vintage air kit will work ? I want to do the same with my 79 Monte ( factory non ac car ) vintage air tech wasn’t a lot of help

No, looked at ordering one, but it looks the availability is a problem. Summit now has the complete kit ( 965083 ) not available. So, I backed off for now.

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
No, looked at ordering one, but it looks the availability is a problem. Summit now has the complete kit ( 965083 ) not available. So, I backed off for now.
You may be looking at the wrong kit. The part #s I was told by Vintage air for the 82-88 are 964332 & 964333, believe he said the 333 has a larger blower motor and housing.
Both are built to order and the turnaround time is about 2 weeks.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor