Wheel back spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I had to use spacers to fit my old rims with 4.25" back spacing so I dont see yours fitting without rubbing issues.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
You will be fine, so long as you don't choose a "fat" tire. I have 17x9's with 4.5" backspacing on mind, and its a very small amount away from the frame.

JRG53

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2011
Petal, MS
I've seen this question about 1000x since I've been a member of this site. Blake442 says not to go more than 4 inch on back spacing. Anything else will rub.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
JRG53 said:
I've seen this question about 1000x since I've been a member of this site. Blake442 says not to go more than 4 inch on back spacing. Anything else will rub.

Actually, thats not true if you are talking about rubbing on the frame. Is he talking about the quarters? Add poly body bushings and you gain some additional clearance from the quarters as well. People have been running 4.5" backspacing on G-bodies forever. I'm running 17x9 with 4.5" BS and 275/40R17 drag radials. It can be done with the right tire size.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
That's good Info, I was wondering about that,I have My eye on a set of Coys 17 X 8 C5's With 4.5 back spacing .
My question is will this wheel fit all the way around, and what size tire can I get away with for The street ?
I wont be seeing any track time shes just a cruiser. Thanks TC 8)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,811

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had 16x8 with a 4.5 backspacing and 245-50-16 tires all way around and no rubbing except the front would rub the F body sway bar on a tight turn. The back did look a little funny cause the wheels looked tucked in and a narrower track than the front but I cured that with a 67 Chevelle rear end

and I'd be happy to try out those coys for you just to make sure they fit.. :mrgreen:

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
pontiacgp said:
I had 16x8 with a 4.5 backspacing and 245-50-16 tires all way around and no rubbing except the front would rub the F body sway bar on a tight turn. The back did look a little funny cause the wheels looked tucked in and a narrower track than the front but I cured that with a 67 Chevelle rear end

and I'd be happy to try out those coys for you just to make sure they fit.. :mrgreen:
Thanks good advice. :lol:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I should add that with that tire height is was very close to the wheel housing at the rear of the front wheel at full turn. I have my car lowered about 2" as well.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I'd go with 17x8 4"BS on the front 17x9 4.5"BS on the rear. Can't go wrong. One thing that people seem to overlook, is the clearance that you get when you switch to energy suspension body bushings. You'r raising the body up, so you gain tire clearance all around, you gain exhaust/header clearances and anything else that may be in the way at the bottom portion of the engine bay. It may also help that air cleaner clear that hood. I'm jumping off subject here, just wanted to throw that in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor