Wheel offset question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
Ok I have a chance to pick up on a set of GM rally wheels with caps and rims, for a good price. There is 7" wide 15" with 4" backspacing for the fronts, and 8" wide 15" for the rear, again 4" backspaceing.

My problem is the offset question. Any idea what safe offset I need for my 1980 Malibu 2dr, so I don't destroy the wheel bearings, tear wheel bolts off, or scrub the tires?

Thanks

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I am going to venture to say that most factory GM wheels will be safe to run on your car. As long as they aren't something like a reversed 14x7, I think you'll be ok.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I'm not mistaken I pretty sure the wheels on my car have a 4" offset and I'm running 7's in the front and 8's in the rear with 235 60 15 front and 255 60 15 in the rear with no problems. I think the stock wheels have a 3.75 offset

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
pontiacgp said:
If I'm not mistaken I pretty sure the wheels on my car have a 4" offset and I'm running 7's in the front and 8's in the rear with 235 60 15 front and 255 60 15 in the rear with no problems. I think the stock wheels have a 3.75 offset

I suspect you mean backspace, rather than offset. The offset is the difference from the centre of the rim, to the part of the wheel that lays up against the rotor or drum. If the the offset was neutral,(which is rare) the face of the rim that lays up against the drum (or disc) would be dead centre of the wheel. Most wheels have a positive, or negative offset, which can be measured, using the centre of the wheel as the zero point.

Here is a good website page that explains wheel measuring.
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

It looks as if I shouldn't have much to worry about, from all the research I have done, but I thought it would be good to get the word from someone who has fitted the rallys before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor