Wheel Spacers or Frame Notching

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am looking to get 17x9.5 wheel for the rear of a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. I dont thing they will fit with out hitting the frame. I am looking to run 275/40/17 on them and was wondering whats better wheels spacers or notching the frame. I really would rather not notch the frame because of how weak these framse are and no experiance doing this kind of work but will have it done if needed. the spacers makes me a little nervous as well. due to adding rotational material that could cause fatigue as well. Which one would everyone recomend be the best way to go? the link to the rims are below.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally would do a frame notch that way it gives you more options on keeping the tires within the wheelwells and with 5.5" BS you still might need a small spacer depending on the section width of the tires.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Did you notch the frame yourself or did you have a shop do it?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you notch the frame yourself or did you have a shop do it?
I notched it myself, it is time consuming but it is pretty straightforward but you do need access to a welder and know how to use it.
I plasma cut mine which made it go a little faster.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Unfortunately I have no experience so it looks like I will need a professional help on that. Though I do have some time before I actually get everything in motion.

dupy316

n00b
Aug 19, 2019
I personally would do a frame notch that way it gives you more options on keeping the tires within the wheelwells and with 5.5" BS you still might need a small spacer depending on the section width of the tires.
I got 9 in swapped into my 78 cutlass supreme and doing the frame notch next weekend. Been looking at wheels and tires. Im thinking of running a 15x8 SSI rally wheel with a P275/50R15 tire. Or the 15x10's with a P295/50R15. Will it be better with a 4.5 or 5 BS? (the 8 in wheels has both 4.5 and 5 BS, the 10 inch wheels has 5 BS) Trying to keep this car looking stock as possible, but need bigger tires. Don't know what fits with the notch kit. Any help for a noob to the g-body world would be appreciative.

Side note, the cutty has 54,000 original miles on it and has a LQ4 w/ 4L80E in it. Did the quick performance 9 inch rear end, with a 3.70 gear, and beefed up all the mounting location on the body for the links and have all adjustable links. Running 4th gen Camaro calipers and breaks on the rear end. I have 74 442 SSII wheels around the car but have to use a 1 inch spacer for back with 235 tires. I have a set of 255 street slicks that are on american racing aluminum 15x8 wheels and they don't need the spacer to clear my breaks. Currently need tires, bald as f**k, cause i drive the sh*t out of this car lol. This winter I got a 408 LQ4 block with LS3 heads and LSA supercharger being swapped in it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Been looking at wheels and tires. Im thinking of running a 15x8 SSI rally wheel with a P275/50R15 tire.
I have 15 x 9.5" rims with 5.50" of BS and I have enough clearance everywhere with a 295/55 M/T Drag radial and they still look "tucked in"

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
And that prove's my point. I had to notch just to fit a 275. BUT, I'm lowered, A LOT. To the wheel well lip is 26.5" my car is built for corners so sidewall flex and rear end movement is something to consider. I have zero rubbing at all no matter the load, angle, or anything. Which was very important to me. I've had tires really n before, I hated it even though it didn't actually cause any issues. Just a personal thing ...

dupy316

n00b
Aug 19, 2019
I have 15 x 9.5" rims with 5.50" of BS and I have enough clearance everywhere with a 295/55 M/T Drag radial and they still look "tucked in"
Did you “massage” the inner fender well cover close to the frame to make your 295’s fit?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you “massage” the inner fender well cover close to the frame to make your 295’s fit?
No modifications just the frame notch to fit them but keep in mind this is on a Monte with round wheel wells other Gbody's can have issues because of the shape of their wheel wells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor