wheel spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHONZ

n00b
Feb 17, 2013
I need to know what proper spacing would work on a 79 monte carlo dont know the correct width. I have z28 16" rims and 225/55/16 tires front and rear. Just want them on without rubbing and clearing the front brake roter . Was told to use 2" on front and 1.5" on rear would that be correct or not dont know how to find w/o learning by mistake if you know what i mean? :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If these are the rims then I don't think you'll need any spacers. Personally I would never use a spacer on wheels.

images

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
pontiacgp said:
Personally I would never use a spacer on wheels.

[/img]

I used to think the same thing but against better judgement, may look at .25" spacers so my 15" SSIII 442 rims fit with LS1 brakes. Billet "hubcentric spacers" (not adapters) may be OK if they aren't too thick. Opinions?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Anubis said:
pontiacgp said:
Personally I would never use a spacer on wheels.

[/img]

I used to think the same thing but against better judgement, may look at .25" spacers so my 15" SSIII 442 rims fit with LS1 brakes. Billet "hubcentric spacers" (not adapters) may be OK if they aren't too thick. Opinions?

I believe that some F bodies came with a .25" spacer on the back wheel so I'll backtrack for that size. The hub of the wheel would still be sitting on the axle so it would still be safe.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
he's talking about the 16" F-body wheels (either the IROC or the GTA wheels)
they are 16" x 8", with different backspacing from front to rear

the "rear" wheels have 5.25" BS and the "front" wheels have 4.75" BS

G-body cars generally start to cause trouble past 4" backspacing. So you will need about a 1" spacer for the "Front" wheels, and a small 3/8" or 1/2" spacer for the "Rear" wheels

On my car, I used the "Rear" wheels infront with a 1" wheel adaptor, and the "Front" wheels in the back with a 3/8" spacer

matthewLLC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2013
if they are the exact wheels posted above.. those are 15x7. i have those on my car while it sits for winter. the rears bolt right up. the fronts i have a 5/16 spacer. just make sure the spacers arent warped and the faces are level or else youll get some vibration. but if youre talking about the 16x8 wheels from the iroc. it will probably be the same. i had s10 zq8 wheels on my car also 16x8 the backspacing for the s10 and monte are 4.25. they fit perfect. only rubbing was because my car is lowered and had wide tires in front. so if the backspacing is bigger than 4.25... buy spacers accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor