Where to find the felt channel for the wagon door windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
When I called Fairchild the woman I spoke to said they would need a large retailer to request a product for production. I guess the cost of making the molds and set up to vulcanize the joints must cost a fortune. I dont think I'll see repop front runs in my lifetime ! LOL

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I called Fairchild the woman I spoke to said they would need a large retailer to request a product for production. I guess the cost of making the molds and set up to vulcanize the joints must cost a fortune. I dont think I'll see repop front runs in my lifetime ! LOL
Mich,
I'm sure the cost for them to tool up to make particular items would clearly depend on demand. Of course, a larger retailer would be more apt to afford a large order. Most production companies would prefer not to deal with an individual, or small mom and pop company.

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Going to Florida next week. Think I'll check a few yards to see if I can get lucky. Thanks for the help guys.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Going to Florida next week. Think I'll check a few yards to see if I can get lucky. Thanks for the help guys.
Good luck finding anything in decent shape...that's if you run across any 4-dr or G-body wagons, which are like finding hen's teeth lately.
You'll find that most of those parts are no better than what you currently have.
Unless you get lucky and find a car that had been always garaged,

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
If someone wants to do the leg work, I'll send you the contact information I have for a company that is very interested in making these parts. Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to send my NOS left side run channel for them to cutup but if someone had a really nice used piece, I bet they would get it done. I talked to these cats two years ago at SEMA and they were very interested.

This is the kind of challenge I would like to work on after I retire. Clocks ticking, Tick, Tock. ...

Scott. ...

Stay Thirsty my Friends. ...

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
The problem is, there's not enough calling for these items. I had an NOS OEM left side channel, but I ended up using on the car. It was impossible to find a matching right side channel. I don't know if I would have been willing to sacrifice an OEM piece to produce repop's.
However, It's encouraging that someone out there is willing to produce these pieces.
If I come across another channel, perhaps then I would be willing to make the sacrifice for the good of the wagon community.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This talk of sending NOS parts as samples brings to mind the debacle when Bob (rarebuM80) sent his coupe sail panels to be used for engineering repros. Destroyed the originals, and the repros aren't great, according to the feedback I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor