Where to start? Seems no power to any gauges..or turn signals or dash lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Okay, well I watched a video on Classic GBody and it shoed me what I need to know........that helps since I hate
breaking things when I'm trying to fix things...........
The video had the same issues with none of the 4 gauges working as well as the tach not being accurate.
So....once I set aside the time..........this is what I will tackle.

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
Hey there. Been following this thread hoping someone would give you options in repair shops that do gauge cluster repairs... You mind if I ask what video you were looking at in terms of making repairs? I have a Rallye Gauge I'm looking to install in my '80 and I'm not confident I can do the electrical work... I have had enough trouble soldering some of my engine harness wiring...

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Hey there. Been following this thread hoping someone would give you options in repair shops that do gauge cluster repairs... You mind if I ask what video you were looking at in terms of making repairs? I have a Rallye Gauge I'm looking to install in my '80 and I'm not confident I can do the electrical work... I have had enough trouble soldering some of my engine harness wiring...

Here's the video link..............excellent video, but watch it several times........and truly get an idea of what you are doing.

I removed mine, got 3 of my 4 gauges working, I installed LED instrument lights which made a huge difference.

Something you may not see him do, you will need to pull the speedometer cable into the car so you can get behind the dash and disconnect it.
I had to unhook mine at the cruise control and it easily pulled in to the car. Getting the KNOB off the headlight switch is fun...
search headlight knob and you may get a few ideas on how yours comes off.

I truly took my time with this.....and I am 90% happy with my work. My tach is still not working properly and my oil gauge still reads pegged
at over 60 psi. So I need to take the cluster back out again and try to fix those two things. I did the retensioning of the metal contacts and
tightened the nuts on the back but be very very careful.

....don't put your dash back together until you make sure everything works. I had mine out several times....just be careful with ALL
the delicate contacts. It's not a fun job but a rewarding one..........I just need to do mine one more time.

Click the link and grab some popcorn.

Jun 21, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the video link..............excellent video, but watch it several times........and truly get an idea of what you are doing.

I removed mine, got 3 of my 4 gauges working, I installed LED instrument lights which made a huge difference.

Something you may not see him do, you will need to pull the speedometer cable into the car so you can get behind the dash and disconnect it.
I had to unhook mine at the cruise control and it easily pulled in to the car. Getting the KNOB off the headlight switch is fun...
search headlight knob and you may get a few ideas on how yours comes off.

I truly took my time with this.....and I am 90% happy with my work. My tach is still not working properly and my oil gauge still reads pegged
at over 60 psi. So I need to take the cluster back out again and try to fix those two things. I did the retensioning of the metal contacts and
tightened the nuts on the back but be very very careful.

....don't put your dash back together until you make sure everything works. I had mine out several times....just be careful with ALL
the delicate contacts. It's not a fun job but a rewarding one..........I just need to do mine one more time.

Click the link and grab some popcorn.

I watched this video multiple times and finally decided to give it a shot. Interesting enough and I was taking the cluster out the colts and oil pressure started to work temporarily. Soon enough I found out that my circuit board is fried and that there’s a jumper wire stretching across diagonally on the back. Shane on the G Body Classic form referred me to this https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pr...d-circuit-board-with-gauges-gm-25016634/95677
I have a 1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brough Sedan. Waiting to confirm if this is what I need to replace the bad circuit board and change the lights that are in it. Thank you for this video it’s helped!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor