where'd you get your engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
just out of curiosity and reference purposes where did you guys get your engines?
really broad but I'm curious how many rebuilds or new crates are in these gbodys. also if they are builds what were they in, stuff like that.

i have an elcamino with its original 350 rebuilt, its got over 100k on it :|

my cutlass has a rebuilt 400 sbc from a 72 chevy caprice, my elky has a built goodwrench 350 in it and my 87 t top regal has a original 307 (soon replaced with 1967 327 sbc) if i dont sale the car.

My '83 Cutlass has a Buick 455 out of a '70 Skylark (also had a Buick 455 out of a '75 LeSabre), which replaced the Olds 403(out of GOD knows what), which replaced the factory Buick V6.
My '85 Cutlass has a SBC 350 out of my old '88 Caprice (RIP), which replaced the factory Buick V6.
My '87 Monte Carlo SS has the stock SBC 305(for now).
My '72 Grand Prix has the stock Pontiac 400.
My old stolen '83 Cutlass had a Pontiac 400 out of a 70's era Grand Prix SJ, which replaced an Olds 350 (from I don't know where), which replaced the factory Buick V6.
My dad has built every engine I have ever had rebuilt or modified. I'm still learning from him.

GM crate from summit.
I would have rebuilt my 400 if I had a place to work. Oh yeah, and it didn't get stolen for scrap.

the cutlass has a 454. was stock when i got it (came with car) belive it was fresh out of a camper. took a whole two days to distroy that motor. sent it out to a machine shop. the block crank and rods are the only thig stock on it.

my truck (free for me) came with a distroyed 327. got a bare 350 block and bare heads off a friend. sent it out to a machine shop( same as 454 engine) everything new to complete it. as of now the body is the only thing that is somewhat stock
60850_1607947395872_1151812394_1800395_1498252_n.jpg

The '81 Bu,
After playing with the 229 a bit, I went with a GMPP ZZ4 from a local chevy dealer.. I later added a set of Fast Burns & an
LT4 HOT cam.
The 84 GP still has the engine it came with(231). And that's ok with me. Cheap, reliable. No 'check engine' light.
I might play with that engine a bit. At some point, I may replace the cam with an off the shelf Comp grind & have the heads freshend up with springs & seals, along with a good 3 angle valve job.

My 455 came from a '76 Pontiac Safari wagon destined to be a demo derby car. If you're looking for old BOP iron, the demo guys are a good way to find it cheap since they run SBC's in their cars. There's no way I would've found a complete running 455/TH400 for $500 anywhere near the city.

Got the 454 thats going in my 79 Cutlass from an old construction company one ton. Took the old 260 and put it in my 83 Cutlass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor