Which mounts will let truck intake clear my Monte LS hood???Headers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjay86LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2013
I just got a 5.3 LS from a 2002 Z71 and need mounts that'll let me clear the Hood with truck intake. It'll be temporary to get things running first. Need help, looks like Dirty Dingo makes some for that???

Attachments

• 20150404_150717.jpg
    20150404_150717.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 537

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
It's not in the mounts,it's in the 2" cowl hood you will need to clear the truck intake.if it's "temporary,till you get everything up and running" then just cut your stock hood to accommodate the truck intake.and for that matter,save some money,and just make your own cowl hood! Measure,score,cut,and tack,KEEPING THE HEAT SOAK DOWN;)

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
I can tell you BRP will NOT clear the hood with a truck intake.

I think hookers swap kit keeps the engine nice and low, maybe check them out.

Mjay86LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2013
I can tell you BRP will NOT clear the hood with a truck intake.

I think hookers swap kit keeps the engine nice and low, maybe check them out.

I'll have to look into those. Thanks for the help

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I see people continue using Dirty Dingo and BRP mounts in G bodies because some of the early LS swaps documented in the forums used them.....too bad. The fitment issues and hacks needed to make them work in a hacked up fashion are also well documented. This was before the Holley / Hooker stuff was available. Buy the Holley mounts which set the engine lower than the others and provide the correct pinion angle. Holley makes a complete line of accessories engineered for our G bodies including headers and trans cross members that fit correctly. The Holley mounts allow you to bolt an LS with truck intake into a G body without hood clearance issues. Do some more research and spend wisely.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Mjay86LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2013
It's not in the mounts,it's in the 2" cowl hood you will need to clear the truck intake.if it's "temporary,till you get everything up and running" then just cut your stock hood to accommodate the truck intake.and for that matter,save some money,and just make your own cowl hood! Measure,score,cut,and tack,KEEPING THE HEAT SOAK DOWN;)

Thanks for the reply, But I've seen it done with truck intake and I'm not a fan of the cowl hood, I'm going for the street car/cruiser look. If not might have to delay startup time and save for ls1 car intake. Hey you know how it is trying to save some $$$ but anxious too, this is my first ls swap and really wanting to ride this summer some.

Mjay86LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2013
I see people continue using Dirty Dingo and BRP mounts in G bodies because some of the early LS swaps documented in the forums used them.....too bad. The fitment issues and hacks needed to make them work in a hacked up fashion are also well documented. This was before the Holley / Hooker stuff was available. Buy the Holley mounts which set the engine lower than the others and provide the correct pinion angle. Holley makes a complete line of accessories engineered for our G bodies including headers and trans cross members that fit correctly. The Holley mounts allow you to bolt an LS with truck intake into a G body without hood clearance issues. Do some more research and spend wisely.

Thanks man, I've been studying the Holley products and that's really the way I was leaning. I was thinking of going that route because I've got a 4L60 also so I was thinking buying cross member and mounts from same company for correct fitment and no headaches. I just got motor and trans this week so I'm studying some before buying.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks man, I've been studying the Holley products and that's really the way I was leaning. I was thinking of going that route because I've got a 4L60 also so I was thinking buying cross member and mounts from same company for correct fitment and no headaches. I just got motor and trans this week so I'm studying some before buying.

No Problem. Start reading here....

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1733542-new-hooker-g-body-ls-swap-system-preview.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor