Which trans fitts tunnel

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You're not the only one to question it, and he did have a shop do the work, so they may have coerced the thing somehow.
Look, I understand what you're saying. I never said it wouldn't fit. Depending on how mechanical changes are made, you can pretty much make anything fit anything. Whether it works properly is another matter. In GM speak, the number in the middle of the transmission designation is a reference to the torque capacity of that transmission. The higher the number, the higher the torque capacity. So, the 4L80E will have a higher torque capacity than a 4L60E. Higher torque capacity usually requires larger, heavier parts to achieve, which usually, makes the transmission larger and heavier. In the case of transmissions with more forward gears, in order to have more forward gears usually tends to make the transmission longer than a transmission with fewer forward gears. All of that extra bulk and length have to go somewhere. Either you can hang the transmission lower, in order to avoid floor modifications, or install it higher, which usually means modifying the floor. Also, you have to take driveline angles into consideration when doing these kinds of swaps, so in SOME cases, floor modifications may be necessary, to maintain proper driveline angles. When reputable companies like Hooker/Holley design and produce parts for swaps, they also have to keep these things in mind, or else their reputation would be affected negatively. Keeping all these things in mind, that's why I said that using the 6L80e or 6L90E will LIKELY require modifications to the floor. All I was doing, was trying to offer some information.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Look, I understand what you're saying. I never said it wouldn't fit. Depending on how mechanical changes are made, you can pretty much make anything fit anything. Whether it works properly is another matter. In GM speak, the number in the middle of the transmission designation is a reference to the torque capacity of that transmission. The higher the number, the higher the torque capacity. So, the 4L80E will have a higher torque capacity than a 4L60E. Higher torque capacity usually requires larger, heavier parts to achieve, which usually, makes the transmission larger and heavier. In the case of transmissions with more forward gears, in order to have more forward gears usually tends to make the transmission longer than a transmission with fewer forward gears. All of that extra bulk and length have to go somewhere. Either you can hang the transmission lower, in order to avoid floor modifications, or install it higher, which usually means modifying the floor. Also, you have to take driveline angles into consideration when doing these kinds of swaps, so in SOME cases, floor modifications may be necessary, to maintain proper driveline angles. When reputable companies like Hooker/Holley design and produce parts for swaps, they also have to keep these things in mind, or else their reputation would be affected negatively. Keeping all these things in mind, that's why I said that using the 6L80e or 6L90E will LIKELY require modifications to the floor. All I was doing, was trying to offer some information.

Dude that's a lot of words to agree with me.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yup, and I'll bite..

In GM speak, the number in the middle of the transmission designation is a reference to the torque capacity of that transmission. The higher the number, the higher the torque capacity. So, the 4L80E will have a higher torque capacity than a 4L60E.
It's not torque capacity, it's gross weight of the vehicle.

60= 6,000lbs GVW
80= 8,000lbs GVW

Scroll to the bottom, I've read this in other places.

As far as the 6L80E or 90E, have yet to see on in a GBody CORRECTLY.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
4l80 fits easily. More than 4 gears with converter lockup is neat if you have them, but not much more than that imo.

And a 60e will last long time if rebuilt properly in a sub 400whp build - take your pick.

Crazy4elkys

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2017
Upper SC
I think a 4l80 would be fine with the 3.73 posi. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor