Who is going to invest in stocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I was thinking about it today and I am still waiting. I may put some money up and see what comes of it. Probably just $500 or so.

Not sure what I will consider yet but if I can buy some stock at about $1.00 a share and buy say, 200 shares hopefully it will turn around and jump up to say, $50.00 a share, nice investment indeed.

Citigroup Inc. is down to $1.05 a share.....last April was around $27.35 a share if I read it correctly.

This is all new to me, the most I seen on stocks was by watching Jim Cramer. I would definitely like to get into it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
No, Run! Run away as fast as you can!!!! Buy Gold and Silver instead as the horrible fiscal policy of the Obama administration will continue to drive the markets further down and precious metals up as people flee the market and search for safety. I was thinking about stocks a few months ago too, but am now quite glad that I didn't. There are good reasons these stocks are worthless. Just because they had value at some point does not mean they ever will again. Citigroup is worthless because it has no value left. It is only still in existence because of continued government bailouts, not because it has a sound business model or any prospects to become profitable. When it does finally fail, the government will be paid first and the stock holders last.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
At what point do you think stocks will be a wise investment? at some point it has to pick up again and it's all a matter of picking the right companies I guess. I know the end is not in sight.

I seen this coming in 2005. All the contractors where building like crazy and work was too much. 7 days a week 15 hour days from April 3rd to Halloween.Early to middle of 2006 it started to taper off big time and everyone was scared to death. Contractors said the bubble is about to burst and be prepared.

I will keep on the lookout for new companies, like a new fast food chain, to open up in a few years and invest in that,lol. Who knows.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would say it could be 4 years before anything is certain, but at least a year until it is safe to try investing again. The way the tax code is being manipulated, etc. will determine how to invest wisely. Right now, the market does not know how to react to the stupidity coming out of the White House, so until that is determined, it is best to stay away if you don't have lots of money to play with. Right now, I predict the total collapse of the banking systems of the major economic powers within a year or two.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Over here. I bought a few last week.

When in your lifetime has the market crashed and not rebounded. I'll admit this will take years and I wouldn't put any in I couldn't afford to lose. Bull goes up the stairs and it can take years bear goes out the window and goes down mighty quick. This is the market the experts are talking about when they are telling you to invest for the long term.

Just for those wondering, I bought some General Mills, Pfizer, AT&T, UPS, and GE. All solid companies with great upside and at this point paying dividend. Also all are at or near lows not seen in years. I wanted to buy Ford but my broker refused to sell it to me so I am looking into a Scottrade or the like to buy in. I also might recommend some Schlumberger, Halliburton, Chesapeake, Anadarko and some of the other energy companies. You'll have to do your own research as my employer feels it would be a conflict of interest for me to invest in any of them so I haven't performed any due diligence on them.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I repeat...Dave Ramsey says "Don't take financial advise from broke people."

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
srercrcr said:
I repeat...Dave Ramsey says "Don't take financial advise from broke people."

Considering the divergence of opinion right now amongst those who are not poor, is it not prudent to stay out of this market until some sort of stabilization appears, especially if you are not familiar with the markets? You can find prognosticators to give you any opinion you wish to hear right now, but the safe money is not in the market, at least not with companies that do not have sound business models. If you wish to go bargain hunting, find companies with sound fundamentals that are trading at a price far lower than they should be, given their earnings. They rule of thumb I have heard is that a stock should trade at 10x earnings. If you find one that is significantly lower than that, investigate the company and see if it checks out. If it does, it may be a good company to invest in.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Not sure if everyone has a rite aid pharmacy near them but their stock is around .23 cents a share last time I checked. I would not buy one share of it though, they are supposed to go under before years end.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
"Citigroup is worthless because it has no value left. It is only still in existence because of continued government bailouts, not because it has a sound business model or any prospects to become profitable."

Shares of Citigroup Inc. rallied 38% Tuesday, scoring gains as Chief Executive Vikram Pandit said the hard-hit provider of financial services was profitable during the first two months of the year and called its capital position "strong."

Better stick to pizzas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor