Who's put a motor in a Astro Van???

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, I haven't actually had alot of time to look at it yet but I know it has a full solid truck frame. It might even be a half ton but I can't remember.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I had a friend once who put a V8 in one of an older model and don't remember him saying it was difficult. I think he went through the passenger door with the motor like you would with any van. I also am pretty sure the Astro vans use the same front suspension as S10's. In fact the AWD system for syclones and typhon's cam from astro vans. sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You could try to use the AWD system to convert a G body if all else fails...

Seriously, I would pull the passenger's seat, driver's seat, carpet, and passenger's door panel and try to get it from there. I think it's a full frame van, so dropping it out the bottom probably would not work. It's gonna have to come out the door. ( I haven't done it before, so it's just a guess) I would pull all that interior stuff to avoid ruining it. You know how pulling an engine goes, no matter how neat you think you will be, or how much planning you put in, you always make a mess.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
exactly, always make some kinda mess. There really ain't no wrong answers for me in this post, just looking for some little pointers and maybe some 'what would you do's' , I live in ND where we get LOTSA snow in the winter's so I just think the logic of this thing out weighs the headache. Practicality I mean. My other cars are my LS (definatly not a winter beater) and my overboosted supercharged 90 Cougar XR7, which would be ok right up until the boost gauge jumped to 12 and I was facing the other way :lol:

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
I had to pull a engine on one years ago yes its a frame its a s10 long wheel base frame.I had to take the hood off the radiator and core support out but i got it out finally.Yes the v8 is bolt in since the 4.3 is nothing more then a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off even uses the same motor mounts.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
When you do get it running, I think it should make a great winter beater. I would stick with the 4.3 just for simplicity sake. The V8 is pointless when you're spinning all four on ice and snow. Stick some studded snow tires on it and go ralley racing. I miss driving in the snow. There's nothing much funner than getting that *ss end out around corners and using snow banks to bounce off of. Or finding a empty parking lot after it just snowwed and doing donuts.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, but the 305 would require engine management issues be dealt with to make it work right. Plus, the later 4.3's have as much power as the L69 305. Just make it run ok enough to use as a beater. It looks like it's in good shape, so hopefully you'll have many years of use out of it. If all else fails, I'm sure the scrap value of it is at least twice what you paid!

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, thats what I figured too, simple to just put the 4.3 back in then the transmission will still work (electronics in general)and everything else. Just simply dependable is all I want for now. Maybe someday that'll change :lol:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You can have too many project cars ( ask me how I know...). It's best to just have one project to modify and then other cars to just drive. Life is much less chaotic that way. The van ( Shaggin' wagon? :lol: ) will make a good driver or even a parts hauler when the interior gets a bit rough. That way, you can concentrate on your Monte and making it better rather than dividing your resources on a 2 front war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor