Whst fittings do I need for this power steering pump?

asgeirogm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2023
Hey everyone,

I recently bought my first project car, a 78 Monte Carlo with a Chevy 350 engine completely unconnected as the previous owner had a different engine in the car but sold me the car with the 350 placed in the engine bay and nothing more.

I've spent couple of months figuring out where everything goes and is connected and I'm getting closer to having everything in order.

There was a saginaw style power steering pump on the 350, and then there was another pump with an external tank thing connected to the steering column and just lying there.

The high pressure hose to the external tank has what seems to be a 5/8" male fitting according to my measurements.
IMG_20231013_193329_319.jpg

IMG_20231013_193348_669.jpg

The high pressure fitting thing on the saginow pump looks like an AN type fitting but it measures as 5/8", which doesn't fit any AN size.
IMG_20231013_193304_868.jpg

I don't really care which pump I use, but I assumed it would be easiest to just find a fitting between the saginow and the high pressure hose that's already in the steering column, but I just cannot understand what fitting I need for that.

I've played around with mounting the external tank pump a little bit but I'm not sure I have the brackets to make it work properly, but I could make it work somwhow if needed.

Any and all help would ve appeciated :)

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
I would go with the saginow pump thats what came on these cars a 1978 would have american fittings they switched to metric in the early 1980's .. factory pump 'lines and steering box all work together but you have to be carefull who knows what mismatched parts the last guy did. i do like the 800 steering box over the 650.. good luck

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor