Whymee's 86 Choo Choo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whymee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2019
West Virginia
Thanks for the warm replies!

And to think I almost passed going to look at it because of the color & bench seat. Now I treat those items as a value added!

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
This group of people is really open to cool stuff in general. Lots of cross body type love, even a few different brand cuddles from time to time.

That TA is rad! Don't be ashamed to show it off! Just to keep things even I think you should not only leave the late model stuff but add some forced induction to it.

Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
The L31 is a good Vortec head engine. It can make a lot of power with the right cam.

I have a RamJet 350 in my '55 Belair. That engine IS a 4 bolt main L31 with a different cam, 1.6 roller rocker arms and of course the Multiport EFI setup and it's MEFI-4 ECM.
Makes 350HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque.

I have a stock 436HP LS3 in my Corvette and I can tell you that my RamJet has a little better low-end torque than my LS3 has. LS3 beats it on top end though starting at around 4,000 rpm. Redline on the RamJet is 5,500 and the LS3 will pull strong all the way to it's 6,600 redline.

My recommendation to you would be to put the same cam, rockers and valve springs that the RamJet has on your L31. Then go with a Holley Stealth Ram EFI kit for Vortec heads.
You will also want to go with nice set of headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust setup with an H or X pipe.
Also take the time to do a true cold air intake pipe setup.

Yup, you would have a lot of money in it. But it will be a great performer and still retain that great looking Chevy small block engine under the hood.

RamJet 350:

Ramjet_350.jpg

LS3:

LS3.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Very nice Choo Choo you have! Looks brand new, can't believe it has 103k miles! I got mine to handle much better by adding 18" wheels and dropping it 2 inches in the front and 1.5 inches in the rear. Also, when I bought mine last year it already had a rear sway bar installed so I'm sure that helps a bit too.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
nice choo choo el camino. wish i could find a nice one like that before i decide to convert my el camino to a choo choo front end. just by adding a rear sway bar it would make it handle alot better than factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor