Wierd noise from my '86 Salon 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
When driving my 86 Salon with 307, i hear a wierd rattling type noise under mild acceleration. Does not happen under aggressive acceleration, only light or mild. Hard to describe exactly but it almost sounds like a ball bearing in a aluminum can or something. Going to change the oil today as someone else suggested to me, but i don't think thats it.

Any ideas?

btw...i'll be using Valvoline Premium Conventional 10W30. Any worries with that oil? SHould i be using something else? Car has 84k on it

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
bonesninja said:
When driving my 86 Salon with 307, i hear a wierd rattling type noise under mild acceleration. Does not happen under aggressive acceleration, only light or mild. Hard to describe exactly but it almost sounds like a ball bearing in a aluminum can or something. Going to change the oil today as someone else suggested to me, but i don't think thats it.

Any ideas?

btw...i'll be using Valvoline Premium Conventional 10W30. Any worries with that oil? SHould i be using something else? Car has 84k on it

Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter, if it is still there. These things won't hurt anything, but like to work loose and rattle. As far as the oil, I think you're ok with that, your engine is a roller cam.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
outsider_27 said:
Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter, if it is still there. These things won't hurt anything, but like to work loose and rattle. As far as the oil, I think you're ok with that, your engine is a roller cam.

checked that and its still there and is very solidly mounted still, doesn't seem like thats it, it kinda sounds like its coming from the engine itself. Does not do it at idle or under heavy acceleration or if i take my foot off the gas and just glide...only under light accel.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
did it start after your last fillup? might just be some bad gas pinging away. If it still does it after the next tank, might check the timing. From the description it sounds like detonation...

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
GP403 said:
did it start after your last fillup? might just be some bad gas pinging away. If it still does it after the next tank, might check the timing. From the description it sounds like detonation...

i noticed it about 3 tanks ago....i was thinking detonation also, but i'm pretty much a moron when it comes to engine mechanical stuff. I just bought the car in January and don't know too much about the maint. history so i think i might go buy so new plugs and wires, change the oil out and call my wife's uncle to check the timing.

i rarely drive the car but now that summer is here i definately want to drive it every day but the noise scares me a bit

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
It sounds like detonation to me also. You can try higher octane fuel to see if it goes away.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
dan2286 said:
It sounds like detonation to me also. You can try higher octane fuel to see if it goes away.

well i just changed the oil and now that i'm listening very closely i can make it happen in my driveway by revving. After i take foot off the gas it sounds like a damn diesel truck.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Work the throttle from under the hood while listening. Might be exhaust leaks at the air injection tubes. Leaking tubes due to rust is a common item on a 307. At the very least, being under the hood will allow you to better pinpoint the noise source.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor