Will a points tach work with GM HEI?

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
If I told you what I paid for these original hood tachs back in the day, you would laugh me right out of town. But back then there were no re-pops, no knock-offs, only over-priced OEM stuff. So I am determined to get these working. Anyone know if the MSD tach adapters work on the same principal? I have the one you use with an MSD6.
And years ago, when you tuned it up you never hooked a tach and dwell meter up to it? Of course you did and so did everyone else. And the meter didn't burn out or not read. Yes, some of the newer ignitiopn aftermarket stuff requires a box but most times not.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The only time I ever hooked up a tach and dwell was with points. I usually had a tach on the dash or hose-clamped to the steering column. And like I said, that Hawk tach would not work with HEI or MSD until I used the adapter [filter?].

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have had several 2nd gen Firebirds, all had the Formula gauges, NONE of the tachs worked with an MSD 6. maybe it's me? :mrgreen:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor