Will it fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
Ok I now have the axles with a 28 spline for a GN. I am still looking for a 3.73 gear. I cant seem to find one on Summit or Jegs website. All I see is the ones with a 27 spline count.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Thanks for the compilation on this post. I wondered how I could re-purpose the 28-spline axle shafts from the GN 8.5 instead of throwing them away. And I now know what to do with the Torsen and 3.73s that came in the 2000 Camaro axle I picked up for the disc brakes. I found a brand-new Auburn 8.5 truck posi on Craigslist, but I have been holding off buying the 30-spline GN axles to make this work in the 8.5. $260 for axle shafts, $120 for install kit, and $220 for gears - this has held me back from punching that ticket.

The Forum ROCKS!:banana:

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
27 splines is the count on the pinion gear, where the yoke mounts. Search under 7.625 ring and pinion. 10 bolts on the ring gear/differential, 10 bolts on the diff cover. Note that for 3.73, you need a 3-series differential - what is the tooth count on the ring gear that came on the Torsen you found? Per Summit, it should be from an axle that had 3.23 or numerically higher ring and pinion...

Last edited:

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
I will have to check. I will have to get back to you I hope that you reply.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I will have to check. I will have to get back to you I hope that you reply.

Clarification - I'm not trying to flog used parts at you - these prices are my mental arithmetic to see if taking the stock 2.56 axle off the wagon and dumping the Camaro guts into it for resale might help offset the cost of my GN upgrade parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor