Window / Door Trim Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
Some more options
Who's catalog is that? Who sells the best weather stripping? I need the outside pieces, and I'm guessing the sweep screws into the B85 so I can buy separately. I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know. First time on most of the Regal stuff. Learning as I go with some great help from here. The fourm has moved me along on numerous things I have been working on. Hitting the transmission section next.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Who's catalog is that? Who sells the best weather stripping? I need the outside pieces, and I'm guessing the sweep screws into the B85 so I can buy separately. I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know. First time on most of the Regal stuff. Learning as I go with some great help from here. The fourm has moved me along on numerous things I have been working on. Hitting the transmission section next.
OPGI

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nah, the rubber's not attached to the trim by screws. The rubber part has some sort of an crimp/indentation system that was made by machine. You'll see when you get in there. I'm lucky enough to have some new molding with the strip already on it so I've never replaced just the rubber part.

Reactions: 1 user

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
Thanks to all for your help. I got the trim off without any problems. Ordered the sweeps, and headed to painter Thursday.

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
I ran into a problem taking the trim off around the door. I got the B pillar and the piece running across the top - drip rail. But at the front of the top where it goes down the A pillar there is a tab or something keeping the trim from coming off. I pulled and twisted it some and it didn't come loose. I didn't want to yank on it too much.
So, what do I do. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_152249727_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201208_152249727_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20201208_152234760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201208_152234760_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 134

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC, the A-pillar and top weatherstrip retainer are held together with a riveted piece where they meet as slow 442 mentioned. Meaning the Upper section and front section is essentially one big channel piece that flexes right there in the corner where the blow out retainer piece sits.

You'll need to remove the weatherstripping on the A-pillar and remove the screws on the A-pillar retainer section too. Then that whole piece SHOULD come off.

I THINK. It's been a long long time since I played with any of that stuff. Someone who's done this recently on a HT swoop in and save my azz.

GM p/n 20737664 and 20737665 for that entire piece for HT. T-top cars use 2 pieces on the A-pillar. The channel on the A-pillar, and there's a top corner piece with the blow out retainer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
I just went through this last weekend while trial fitting everything......those trim pieces are held in by a series of panhead trim screws which are under the roof rail seal. Some seals are glued in, others aren't - luck of the draw for you......hopefully you don't have to destroy the seals to get at the screws....

If you do have to replace them, take a bunch of pics of how the roof rail seal fits because the aftermarket is very hit and miss with their sizing. I have the Soff Seal version - driver's side fitted perfectly - passenger is about 2 inches short down the vertical B-pillar section.....yes, I managed to stretch the distance but I don't like how it is in tension on the anchors....

On the door window sweeps - that's easy.....roll the window down and with a bit of luck you'll get access to the screws.....sometimes you can, others you need to remove the inside door panel and loosen the window stop to get access....
Thanks for the info. I was able to get most of the trim off. What are the window stops, and how do I loosen them? I have one screw holding me up because of the window.
I just went through this last weekend while trial fitting everything......those trim pieces are held in by a series of panhead trim screws which are under the roof rail seal. Some seals are glued in, others aren't - luck of the draw for you......hopefully you don't have to destroy the seals to get at the screws....

If you do have to replace them, take a bunch of pics of how the roof rail seal fits because the aftermarket is very hit and miss with their sizing. I have the Soff Seal version - driver's side fitted perfectly - passenger is about 2 inches short down the vertical B-pillar section.....yes, I managed to stretch the distance but I don't like how it is in tension on the anchors....

On the door window sweeps - that's easy.....roll the window down and with a bit of luck you'll get access to the screws.....sometimes you can, others you need to remove the inside door panel and loosen the window stop to get access....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for the info. I was able to get most of the trim off. What are the window stops, and how do I loosen them? I have one screw holding me up because of the window.
See arrow. Just note bolt's original position in the slot, remove bolt, listen to it fall, then reach in and pick up the window stop now laying in the bottom of the door. :) Lower window another 1/2" or so and you're good. Raise window and put stop back in where you first found it. Viola!

G-body door lower window stop.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor