Window trim paint removal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
It was most definitely rattle canned on, I’ll start with my pressure washer, hopefully that removes most of it. After I’ll go with thinner, oven cleaner, then lastly stripper. If all this fails. What are my options to have it redone ? Could it all be removed with some sort of blaster (sand, bead, walnut,soda) then powder coated?
When my wagon was going into the body shop I found decent trim for the rear side windows in a local yard but the finish was pretty bad. Pieces were straight and ding free just really oxidized. I called a bunch of places about having them anodized again but all of them said they wouldnt have the same finish as original.
In the end I glass beaded them, sprayed them with epoxy primer and color matched them to the body color. I think they look good but I left the trim for the windshield anodized since it was in nice shape. I also took off the trim around the door glass.

IMG_0478.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Chances are it was rattle-canned. Costs nothing to try a little lacquer thinner on it to see if it will come off. Good quality thinner will strip spray paint immediately.

I prefer to start with the least-invasive method, and move up from there as required.
Brian,
I agree with you on using lacquer thinner. I removed the paint on my Oldsmobile's wheels that I painted black. It was a tedious job, but the lacquer thinner worked using toothbrushes and assorted brushes. It removed the paint quite well.
I also agree about using the least invasive method first.

Reactions: 1 users

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Heat gun bro
Use a 1500 heat gun and bloster that krap off.
How well bonded is the black paint? Perhaps you can try to strip away some of the black paint to see what the trim looks like underneath. It could've been scuffed and primed with etching primer. I assume you're trying to revert back to the original chrome. Depending on how scuffed the chrome is, you may end up keeping the trim parts painted....or do what Donavan did to his chrome, doing a brushed stainless look, which I feel looks great and subtle in appearance.
Heat gun bro - that stuff is suspect to pressure deformation. 1500 degree dance it over and watch the paint blister off - just use care not to hold the heat in one lace too long.

Then never dull to polish it out.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
I got a little bit of lacquer thinner on a paper towel and it wiped right away. That’s a big relief. Now I just gotta remove it all and continue the process to everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor