Windshield Antenna Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
When I had my El Camino repainted the first time, back around 2008, I said dump the fender antenna, I'm going to install satellite radio anyway. Agree, I like the look without the fender antenna better. If the car or truck didn't originally come with a windshield antenna, behind the bright trim at the bottom of the windshield is a dimple where the hole would have been. I drilled it out to run my satellite radio antenna cable. BTW the part number on that windshield cable "LEAD ASM" is 20042400.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My glass guy got a Pilkington one no problem about 2 years ago, have things changed?
That is really good news. Perhaps I have only listened to the doom and gloom postings and was misinformed!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
DW889. As I recall, it was $200 installed. I don't price-shop windshields because I trust our guy's workmanship. One go-around with Safelite and you'd understand why. Another perk vs doing it yourself is that breakage is their problem, not mine

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
Well, for me it's just a matter of clicking "off" and watching the antenna disappear into the fender. But therein lies the other issue. Sometimes it doesn't. o_O Then you have to go in and get it or at least unplug the motor. Your solution definitely is the lower cost means to getting rid of the fender antenna because you don't have to fix broken cables or buy special windshields.
When I had my Cutlass, I put a cut-off switch in my glovebox for the power antenna after I had my cable replaced. That way I could control the up/down & the height & maybe save another expense of practically removing the damn fender to get to it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When I had my Cutlass, I put a cut-off switch in my glovebox for the power antenna after I had my cable replaced. That way I could control the up/down & the height & maybe save another expense of practically removing the damn fender to get to it.
If you replaced the cable with another plastic version, at some point it'll crack and go up that one last time, then separate on the way down. It really sucks to hear the continuous "whirrr" of the antenna motor and seeing your antenna frozen and only partially sticking out of the fender. Then, unfortunately, you find out pretty quick under the hood on where that antenna power plug connector is that you probably hadn't thought about in years.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor