Windshield trim frustration... Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
I tried a topic search but came up empty. I just installed my front and rear windshield and am having a hell of a time with the metal trim. I was able to get all but one clip to lock along the top of the front and all but a couple along the left side A pillar (enough to hold it in place). The right side A pillar won't lock in at all, and the rear either (although I didn't try too much on the rear because of my mounting frustration lol). I'm using all new clips and they're correct (compared them to a couple of old ones I still had). Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance :D .

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
:|

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well, I don't know where you bought the trim clips but if they're the same as the ones I bought from gbodyparts.com then they're close to original but not close enough. The clearances are just too small in them. You really have to pound on the trim to get them into the clips and even so it might just pop back out again. This is why I now have rubber mallet dents in my trim, paint scraped off in the top corner from the clips holding the trim too close to the A-pillar, and overall not-so-great looking fitment. I too found it impossible to get all of the trim to stay. My solution to that was to round up all of the usable clips I could get from my original set and use those in the trouble areas.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you haven't already the first thing I would do is replace the clips even though they may appear to be in good cond. they loose tension and become brittle over time and if your molding is still not catching make sure it is not pushed in on the backside where the clip catches, there needs to be an even gap the full length.
I had a new windshield installed and also bought new aftermarket windshield molding because my upper had a slight bend ( of coarse only noticed by me) and they came with new clips and seals.
Though the clips were nearly indentical to my previous ones they were slightly thicker and taller ( hardly noticeable but made a difference) I ended up having to trim the bottoms because they were not seating all the way, I set them all to where the stud was at the end of the slot and also painted them all black since I have a black car with black trim.
Another thing I noticed is the mounting studs are symmetrical but the clips are not side specific which puts them on a different location on each side, further down on one side and higher on the other, I also had to slightly modify my new molding at the pass side upper corner to get the clip to catch correctly

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
307 Regal said:
Well, I don't know where you bought the trim clips but if they're the same as the ones I bought from gbodyparts.com then they're close to original but not close enough. The clearances are just too small in them. You really have to pound on the trim to get them into the clips and even so it might just pop back out again. This is why I now have rubber mallet dents in my trim, paint scraped off in the top corner from the clips holding the trim too close to the A-pillar, and overall not-so-great looking fitment. I too found it impossible to get all of the trim to stay. My solution to that was to round up all of the usable clips I could get from my original set and use those in the trouble areas.

What you need to do is check the trim itself. Look down the back side where the clip use to attach to the metal . Even if you use the correct trim tool the metal will bend. When we send used trim out we make sure that the back where the clip locks in is not stressed where it will just pop back off. I have had factory trim blow off at 100+ mph. The driver side & the top piece is normally the ones that launch.
The second thing is the plastic behind the trim. I have this new & didn't realize it was not on my site because I sold a lot of it. The plastic behind it actually prevents air from gettuing underneath it. It also helps the trim hold it's shape.

565bbchevy I checked on the rear tag pocket light lenses for you again Friday. Jim said they are expected out in September.

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
I'll check the trim this afternoon when I get back to working on it. I looked really close at the urethane and it didn't appear to be interfering but maybe now that it's dry I'll trim up any excess just in case. With the pieces I haven't installed yet I'll take some of the clips and set them on the trim off the car to check the locking, maybe some of the clips have some extra flashing on them or something? I've got quite a few extras so maybe swapping some out will work. Hopefully a couple of days away from it have reduced the frustration enough to take a cool, calm look at it again lol. Thanks for the tips!

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
565bbchevy said:
If you haven't already the first thing I would do is replace the clips even though they may appear to be in good cond. they loose tension and become brittle over time and if your molding is still not catching make sure it is not pushed in on the backside where the clip catches, there needs to be an even gap the full length.
I had a new windshield installed and also bought new aftermarket windshield molding because my upper had a slight bend ( of coarse only noticed by me) and they came with new clips and seals.
Though the clips were nearly indentical to my previous ones they were slightly thicker and taller ( hardly noticeable but made a difference) I ended up having to trim the bottoms because they were not seating all the way, I set them all to where the stud was at the end of the slot and also painted them all black since I have a black car with black trim.
Another thing I noticed is the mounting studs are symmetrical but the clips are not side specific which puts them on a different location on each side, further down on one side and higher on the other, I also had to slightly modify my new molding at the pass side upper corner to get the clip to catch correctly

All the clips are new, all but one of the old ones broke when I took them off they were so brittle.

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Well, I got the front trim in. It turns out it was kind of a combination of suggestions mentioned above. In a couple of places the rubber insert wasn't letting the clip engage, a little "massaging" of the rubber backing solved that. I a couple of other places the trim was bent ever so slightly from being removed, I thought it was ok until I looked a little closer. Got those parts a bit straighter and it popped in. Haven't tried the rear yet (I was working on the interior all afternoon) but I'm sure if I look at it the way I did today it will be ok. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep you posted :D

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
Wildmani said:
Well, I got the front trim in. It turns out it was kind of a combination of suggestions mentioned above. In a couple of places the rubber insert wasn't letting the clip engage, a little "massaging" of the rubber backing solved that. I a couple of other places the trim was bent ever so slightly from being removed, I thought it was ok until I looked a little closer. Got those parts a bit straighter and it popped in. Haven't tried the rear yet (I was working on the interior all afternoon) but I'm sure if I look at it the way I did today it will be ok. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep you posted :D
100 mph our test drive with a follow behind vehicle ;)

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
I managed to get the rear trim on this afternoon, it was a bit more tricky. The roof and C pillar portions went ok but I had a lot of trouble with the lower section. Turns out I just had to slightly "tweak" the hooking section of the trim where the clips go to help them engage. They're on solid now. Again, thanks for the hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor