Wiring Connectors needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
I have a 1984 Monte SS that had a 305 with a computer now I have a 1970s 350 with no computer. I see alot of wiring connectors with no connection. Can I cut these out? I assume they went to sensors on the 305 which are not there. So anybody who did a similar swap please help. Can I cut the wires back and tape the ends to clean up my engine?

Attachments

• wire connectors.jpg
    wire connectors.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • wire connectors1.jpg
    wire connectors1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 988
  • wire connectors2.jpg
    wire connectors2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 984

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Don't cut the wires, pull the inner wheel well there is 2 small bolts that hold a bracketthat needs to be removed. Remove the Passenger side kick panel, disconnect from the ECM and pull through the firewall.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
My harness was already hacked and all connectors were cut off already. Same deal I have a 70's 350, and I removed the passenger side kick panel and grabbed a few wires at a time and pulled them through the grommet from inside the car until I had all of them out. Then I plugged the grommet with silicone or something so water didn't leak in the car. It's easier than taking off the wheel tub by far. It's just an idea if you dont mind cutting the wires all up. The connectors wont fit through the grommet though. Like I said, mine were hacked to begin with. Hope that helps.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
good call, thanks for the replies.
Yeah, now I remember when I had the interior trim off on the pass. side that there was a 5 inch long connector and no ECM. The Previous owner removed the ECM already so any wire coming from this 5" connector can go right? Then, under the hood that should clean up 70% of the wires. I will just have to trace out the wires going to the MAP sensor and A/C.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
Update: I tried to pull the wires through the firewall buy removing the grommet in the kick panel and didn't want to do it. If the ecm connectors was the only bundle going through there, then I would have cut the grommet and yanked the wires through but there is another bundle going to the A/C and MAP sensor. (see pics). I tried to pry and twist on that grommet and it wasn't going easy. So I decided to cut the wires that went to unused connectors back as far as I can. I'm going to have some wires still going to the A/C and MAP so no big whoop. It'll be hidden in the conduit.

Attachments

• WP_000238.jpg
    WP_000238.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 983
  • WP_000239.jpg
    WP_000239.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 980
  • WP_000242.jpg
    WP_000242.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 965
  • WP_000240.jpg
    WP_000240.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 981

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The A/C is in a different bundle, goes though the firewall above the ECM harness you can see it in the 3rd pic with the vac lines beside it. If you didn't drop the inner fender and remove the bracket that holds it in place the grommet won't come out. BTW the MAP is on the ECM harness.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
So Jeff, is the MAP sensor then connected to anything? There is another sensor right next to the MAP which also goes to the ECM. Do these sensors serve any function? If not, can I remove them? There are some ground wires in this bundle as well. Are they needed?
Thanks for your help.
Mike

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Since the ECM is gone the MAP sensor isn't doing anything. Everything on the pass side inner fender can be removed if you want.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
Roger that Jeff,
I think I will pull the wheel well shroud out now that I see how easy it is. I was looking in the engine compartment for the bolts to remove :wtf: but they are underneath aren't they. That should give me a clear overview of the pass though, remove the bracket holding the grommet and separate the ECM connectors. Then, remove anything connected to these wires. There are some wires going underneath behind the distributor to like the transmission. I see one connector plugged into the transmission when I crawled underneath on the drivers side. If that is going to the ECM, I'll unplug it and remove or snip the wires?

Thanks Jeff

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
Also I noticed these other connectors that pass through the same grommet as the ECM connectors. What do these wires feed? I will trace them out after I remove the ECMs but thought you knew.
Thanks

Attachments

• unknown connectors.jpg
    unknown connectors.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 874
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor