Wiring Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Well I was hoping if someone on here can help me with some household wiring. I'm hoping for a licensed electrician on here but all input is welcome. I'm going to run a subpanel into the garage(attached). I just got a new welder and compressor both being 240v. The welder is 22 amps so I will need a 30 amp double pole breakers for that. The compressor is a 15 amp so that will need a 20 amp double pole. I plan on running 2 outlets in different spots in the garage for the welder. I also plan on doing 2 extra 110v outlets(can never have enough) and 2 motion lights on the outside.

Will I need a 100 amp service line from the main or can I get away with say a 70 or 60 amp. Because when you think about it I wont be using the welder and compressor at the same time. Same goes with both welder outlets....But if I went with a 100 amp I would have room for expanding because the main panel 200 amp with 40 spaces which is already full. So I will need to move 2 into the garage.

Compressors have this special ability to kick on when you least need them; like when you're talking to someone, on the phone, and even while welding :lol: . Keep in mind that most loads momentarily spike when they come on but draw will drop after that. Unless you turn on everything simultaneously you won't see anything close to max amperage draw. So, you probably could get away with the smaller service but given the choice -- I'd go bigger. Better to have it and not need it.

My main shop's panel has it's own meter. The paint shop panel pulls it's power from my house. Every time the compressor or the fan comes on the lights in the house go dim and the TV screen momentarily shrinks. Just a heads up that your wife might complain about that.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN AN ELECTRICIAN.

I am a Local 26 Electrician. I would just do the 60 or 70 amp subpanel in the garage, unless in the future you will putting a workshop out there, the 100 amp is over kill. Compressor, welder, and more convenience plugs is good on the 60A. That is what I'll prob do. Save your money, no need in just having it there if the biggest loads are the welder and compressor.

You can also put a subpanel next to the main for extra loads in the house. Don't want to have to pull new ckts for the house all the way to the garage.

hurst1979olds said:
I'm hoping for a licensed electrician...
Wow! Ask and you shall receive. Feel free to disregard anything I said :? .

Driven, you was on point with your answer, just wanted to reassure what you said about the momentary spikes when the units first come on. Maybe he'll put in a lift, or shop lights, Idk. Sure the 100A is a perfect answer and I would put one in if they were the same price as the subpanels, but I'm a cheap b*st*rd. 😀

crucial118 said:
...but I'm a cheap b*st*rd. 😀
Me too. But we're spending hurst1979olds' money so I figured go big. Glad you saw the post and could give some professional input. That's what's cool about forums like this. There's pros from just about any background.

I went with a 60 amp sub panel in my garage. I would recommend putting in a full size panel in your garage, it will help with splitting circuits up onto their own breaker, and give you extra room for those double breakers. I didn't put in a full size box and I'm out of breaker spots. I had to double up some separate circuits onto a single breaker. I wish I didn't have to do this, it would be a huge pain in the *ss to replace the breaker box now...

I have two circuits for each side wall of the garage.
I have a dedicated circuit for my air compressor that is 220.
I have a dedicated 220 plug for my welder as well.
Lights are on their own circuit too
I recommend putting outside outlets on their own circuit so you can shut them off when not in use. Keeps people from stealing power and is just nice piece of mind

Measure your work bench and place outlets on the walls accordingly. I placed them just above the counter, and on the side walls, I placed the outlets high enough that I can put a table on it's side, or a piece of plywood leaned against the wall, and still have access to the outlets.

Put in extra lighting. The older you get, the more light you will need to work.

Don't forget about low voltage, run it while you are running the main power from the house to the garage.

If your garage is detached, don't forget to run a gas line, so you can have cheap heat in the winter. I was an idiot and forgot to run the gas line when I had the trencher, so now I have to go back and dig everything up again to do that....

Thanks guys for all the great input. I figured go with the 100 because like Driven said, go big. But as what crucial said why spend the money. The garage doesnt have a ceiling for a lift so thats out of the question. So I will probably put in a 60 or 70 amp.

DRIVEN said:
Me too. But we're spending hurst1979olds' money so I figured go big. Glad you saw the post and could give some professional input. That's what's cool about forums like this. There's pros from just about any background.

No problem and since we're spending hurst1979old's money, why not just ditch the subpanel idea and put in a reactor. :rofl:

And if you do put in more lighting down the road, use fluorescent light fixtures. They use less power.

I have 60 amp service in my garage also along with the gas line. Since my 220 compressor and AC unit are always plugged in they have their own outlets but for my 220 mig, plasma cutter and arc welder I use the same outlet since they are not used at the same time all I did was mount an outlet for the highest amp of the three and changed the cord ends of the remaining two to match the first instead of having three different outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor