Wiring products and battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montess

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2007
CT
So in light of cleaning things up a bit in the engine bay and giving tired worn out parts etc new life, I would like to upgrade some wiring. In particular I want to upgrade the battery cables. Anyone have any recommendations on a good brand for battery terminals and cable ends in general? I have a very new battery with side post terminals so I would prefer to keep that for the time being so the terminal ends would need to be side post ends. Looking at copper cable ends, I seem to be seeing some good reviews there; not sure if there is a certain brand I should be looking at. This isn't overkill is it? I am not going crazy here for no reason right?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always make my own using 1/0 fine strand welding cable and use copper lugs to fit the application I am doing.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
U actually make your own battery cables???
Yes, since I typically use 1/0 it is easier for me to make them myself and get the perfect length and put whatever ends I need on.
If you are doing trunk mount batteries etc. you can buy in bulk like I do they end up being relatively inexpensive compared to pre made cables.
Most older cars including Gbody's the factory cables are barely adequate.

Reactions: 1 users

Spintire47

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2019
Westerly R.i.
That's pretty cool! I never would have even thought of doing anything like that. In curious what one of your finished cables looks like . That's very interesting.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 1 user

85montess

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2007
CT
I always make my own using 1/0 fine strand welding cable and use copper lugs to fit the application I am doing.

Yeah that was my plan, not sure if that came across clearly. Where do you buy your wire and connectors etc? I much prefer to do it myself for the reasons you mentioned. Usually ends up being cheaper and I know it's done right and will fit exactly how I want it to.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
i bought my battery cables from american autowire, 1/0 with side post. real happy with quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor