Wont turn over

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombieking

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2012
Halfmoon Bay B.C.
My GP was starting and running great. I wired up a cheap equus tach which took awhile playing around under the dash. When I went to start the car to see it work, all I got was a click. Now I do realize I was under the dash for a good hour with the door open, so with all the interior lights on I may have drained the battery some. I tried starting with a booster pack, but still no go. It is a solid click, and sounds like the solenoid is throwing the starter gear at the ring gear, but maybe not meshing? Can I roll the engine by hand some to try it in a different spot? All I can feel is a 5/8 nut on the lower pulley and when I went to turn it, it just seemed to tighten the nut more, so I stopped for fear of twisting it off.

I took out the tach in case I messed up the wiring putting it in. I've wiggled all the wires going down to the starter. I gave the starter a few love taps with a hammer, but wont turn over. Just a nice solid tinny sounding click when I turn the key. It hasn't been hot here, but it does have headers so is it possible starter got cooked? I wouldn't think so, as engine runs really cool and I've had it out for longer hotter runs before I last shut it off when this happened.

If its just a bad spot on the ring gear, should I try to roll the engine by hand again? Am I doing that part right by turning the bolt on the lower pulley? Any other suggestions to help diagnose why it wont turn over, or things I could try? Really hate the thought of needing to try and pull out that starter. Thanks!

I would start by charging the battery overnight, then testing it. A good running motor doesn't just stop working.

I did try to put my charger on the battery, but only to find out the charger died, oh well, it was about 30 years old! Can't afford a new one right now, but might try grabbing a charged battery from another vehicle and see if I end up the same.

I ran the red wire directly to an empty spot on the fuse panel for keyed power to the tach, and I also ran the white tach light wire directly to an empty light-switched power on the panel. The black and green wire were run through to the engine bay, and black went to a ground, and the green was hooked to the tach prong on the HEI dizzy. I have since removed the wires for the tach thinking maybe I did something wrong there, but the starting problem is still there.

Tried another battery, but still just a heavy click. The gravel driveway was wet, so I didn't want to crawl under to have a closer look at the starter, so I took my wood handled hammer and reached down through the headers from the top where I could just see the back end of the starter. I gave it several whaps with the butt end of the hammer, and no, they weren't love taps this time. Jumped in and she fired right up! Guess I see a new starter in my future, and might try one of the mini-starters from Skip White. Thanks for all the replies...... and by the way, hooked the tach back up, and it works like a charm! At least something to be happy about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor