Wop-sided Chassis Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
It seems clear as to which route you have chosen and in the end it is your car and you are the one who has to deal with any issues that are created by shimming a warped frame and hopefully my worries about doing this are worst case scenario, so good luck and I hope any possible issues you do have are easily resolved.

Well, I definitely sense the undertones in your remarks, but all in all, I appreciate your good luck and well wishes.

I don't know why there is so much doom and gloom surrounding my post. I clearly understand the possible ramifications of shimming this 1 inch offset, but ya'll come across like I'm talking about installing my engine in the trunk. I don't think there is any harm in exploring alternative ways to remedy this relatively small problem. But hey, when it's all said and done, I opened this forum up to the masses, so I have to expect the different responses.

Cheers

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
I post a lot of photos on this forum. For going on 5 years, I'm one of the few guys that post the most pics.....has anyone noticed this horrendous 1 inch difference in my frame? What about the recent pics I've posted lately, is it even noticeable? The same view you have in my photos is the same perspective you have in person when you see my car from the rear. The only reason I noticed and even thought to measure the frame rails was because I'm extremely meticulous. Besides that I doubt that the average guy would have noticed.
However, now that I've posted my concerns, I feel like the sky is falling.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Actually a lot more pictures would have probably helped, now with all the bushings in place are the only ones with a gap the two on the back of the passenger rear frame rail and have you tried using a longer bolt in those to see if the rail will pull up and flex to meet the body.

CartmanTD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2012
Catonsville, Maryland
You could try wrapping chain around the frame at the spot that it starts to drop and anchor it to the floor, or to the jack itself. Then put a floor jack at the end of the frame and jack up. Once the frame is anchored (preferably with suspension collapsed) you can jack up on it and you can get it to where it needs to be. Or if the rail needs to come down then anchor the end of the frame and jack up where it starts to sag. That is what I used to do to my demolition derby cars when I needed to straighten bent frame rails. This fix costs nothing and doesn't require a frame machine. Not exactly the best or safest way to do it, but it will work.

Reactions: 1 user

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I just found this thread I will try and dig up my pictures. But my frame had the same thing but mine was due to sitting a long time without and bracing done to it. These frames tend to kinda well twist and bend amazing that a big heavy peice of metal can do that. I just ended up using longer bolts to get it close then shiming the body so it's a tight fit. I am not too worried about it and everything is level and aligns properly. They used shims from factory on some cars mostly corvettes

Reactions: 1 user

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
You could try wrapping chain around the frame at the spot that it starts to drop and anchor it to the floor, or to the jack itself. Then put a floor jack at the end of the frame and jack up. Once the frame is anchored (preferably with suspension collapsed) you can jack up on it and you can get it to where it needs to be. Or if the rail needs to come down then anchor the end of the frame and jack up where it starts to sag. That is what I used to do to my demolition derby cars when I needed to straighten bent frame rails. This fix costs nothing and doesn't require a frame machine. Not exactly the best or safest way to do it, but it will work.
This is interesting and unique. I appreciate this feedback.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
I just found this thread I will try and dig up my pictures. But my frame had the same thing but mine was due to sitting a long time without and bracing done to it. These frames tend to kinda well twist and bend amazing that a big heavy peice of metal can do that. I just ended up using longer bolts to get it close then shiming the body so it's a tight fit. I am not too worried about it and everything is level and aligns properly. They used shims from factory on some cars mostly corvettes
Thanks for the tip! And I hope that you can find those pics because I wouldn't mind seeing another example of how this has happened. Yea, you're right, it's amazing how these solid pieces of metal can twist and turn so easily. I appreciate the feedback and I'm going to run all of these ideas by my guy today.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you can somehow get the frame rail to meet the body and bolt up I would consider welding a brace between the rear frame rails to help reinforce the rear and also relieve any strain from the passenger side wanting to pull down.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Well, I definitely sense the undertones in your remarks, but all in all, I appreciate your good luck and well wishes.

I don't know why there is so much doom and gloom surrounding my post. I clearly understand the possible ramifications of shimming this 1 inch offset, but ya'll come across like I'm talking about installing my engine in the trunk. I don't think there is any harm in exploring alternative ways to remedy this relatively small problem. But hey, when it's all said and done, I opened this forum up to the masses, so I have to expect the different responses.

Cheers

This made me laugh, thanks for that.
I get where you're coming from-I think many just would like to see it done right, and see you have no further issues.....thus some hesitance to suggest a solution that may be bandaid at best, cause more problems being worst case.
I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the input you are receiving, so I'm hoping one, or a combination of ideas works out.
It would be nice to know whether it's drivers side is tweaked high or passenger side is tweaked low...or did I miss that?

Promise to keep us posted on what happens, good or bad ok?

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
This made me laugh, thanks for that.
I get where you're coming from-I think many just would like to see it done right, and see you have no further issues.....thus some hesitance to suggest a solution that may be bandaid at best, cause more problems being worst case.
I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the input you are receiving, so I'm hoping one, or a combination of ideas works out.
It would be nice to know whether it's drivers side is tweaked high or passenger side is tweaked low...or did I miss that?

Promise to keep us posted on what happens, good or bad ok?
Lol! Will do buddy...I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted.
Our first thought was that the passenger side was tweaked low, but a few guys on here brought up a good point about the driver side being possibly tweaked high. Another good set of ideas I received was the fact that this could all be related to bolts and screws needing to be tightened. My gut tells me there is a simple solution to this issue, that's why I'm so hesitant to jump to the extreme of having the frame straightened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor