Work Log: 1978 Regal Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
This work log will be slow moving as I've barely done anything yet, but should start gaining real momentum mid-summer. But if nothing else, when Justin (AeroSS_87 on here) and I take on a project, there will be a ton of pics.

For starters, a repost of the video from last summer when we attempted to drive it home from Utica, including a memorial to my previous Regal:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnI3H43ckLU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnI3H43ckLU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Naturally, this adventure ended in fail. The brakes were too rusty and spongy to trust, and the car barely made it back to the farm before it died and would not restart.

Next, we'll refer back to November 2, 2008 when Ray, Justin and I trailered her home:

http://www.starcityracing.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=16659

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Okay, moving on.

December 22, 2008:

We decided the best place to start would be trying to get her to stay running under her own power. Mice had chewed through a couple of the plug wires, the ignition rotor was faulty, and the factory 1978 carburetor was questionable at best. An ignition tune up and carb swap were in order. For the record, the fuel pump had been replaced during the summer.

Mugsy002.jpg

Mugsy004.jpg

Mugsy005.jpg

I believe these plugs were installed some time in 2001.

Mugsy005.jpg

Mugsy011.jpg

Factory aluminum intake. Baller, I know. New valve cover gaskets were also installed because it really really needed them.

Mugsy012.jpg

The replacement carb: A remanned unit that was previously on the Sport Coupe.

Mugsy015.jpg

Once everything was in place, we filled the bowl on the carburetor and gave it a shot. She ran for about 2-3 minutes, sputtered and died.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
At this point I was thinking the Regal was probably in the same boat as my Charger. Despite several gallons of fresh fuel in the tank, we were still dealing with a 31 year old car that had spent the last 7 years sitting untouched on a desolate Nebraska farm. Chances were that the fuel tank was filled with varnish and rust that had smothered the pickup screen and plugged the sending unit. Plans were made to acid wash and reseal the fuel tank.

March 28 2009:

Armed with a gallon of muratic acid, two quarts of tank liner from Speedway, and a six pack of Boulevard Bully Porter, I headed to the garage accompanied by Ray, Justin, and Courtney. While the strap bolts were soaking in PB Blaster, I ripped out the rusty remnants of the factory exhaust and pitched it into the dumpster. I then went to work on pulling the tank.

Amazingly clean underneath. The strap bolts put up almost no fight at all.

Picture007.jpg

Safety first:

Picture014.jpg

Picture006.jpg

My ever helpful assistants:

Picture016.jpg

Fuel tank out:

Picture023.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Removing the lock ring. Again, no real fight.

Picture024.jpg

Justin attempts to quiet the noise of me pounding on the tank:

Picture025.jpg

Amazingly, everything was sparkling clean inside. No rust, varnish, sediment, nothing. Whatever was causing the fuel issue was not in the tank. Still, I decided to replace the strainer while I had the sending unit out, only to find out that the strainer itself is not available. I had to order a whole new sending unit from Rock Auto.

Should be here any day now . . .

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
good luck with your build. I'm hoping to get my bodywork and paint next. Havent decided if I want to do that or get my rims or keep the rally

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Nice to see another Chevy engined non Chevy...lol. Good luck with the car, and keep the Quadrajet. One day, the world will be dominated by men who understand the Quadrajet!

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I know almost nothing about carburetors beyond the basic principles of what makes them work, so this will be a learning tool for me. But the 305 is only temporary, and will eventually be swapped for a 455.

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor