Working after morons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Remember the stuck Pontiac 400 I freed up last year? (https://gbodyforum.com/threads/doing-the-unstuck.69747/) I finally opened it up for a look-see. First off I was right about the valley pan leaking. It was horrible. But it didn't have to be so. The morons I am following decided not to replace it. Just schmear orange RTV all over it and call it done. YIKES!!! Had they used something decent like Marine Tex it might have worked. But no- just use whatever is the cheapest at Auto Zoned Out. Then when some gas or oil hit it it failed and let water fill the engine. But after I got the engine unstuck it shook and rattled for quite some time. The lifters banged like crazy until they loosened up and smoothed out. One kept clacking on and off even until now. Sometimes really badly. See the pic for the reason. Damn lucky the push rod held the lifter top piece from falling into the engine. I put it back together and it seems OK. Then I noticed the rocker nuts were some cheap-*ss Chinesium attempt at poly locks. (Just $9.99 on Flea Bay. Hurry! Almost sold out!!! ) When I put the rocker arm back on I no matter how tight I made the set screw I could still turn the nut easily with a 5/8" wrench. What junk. Maybe I can scrounge some real Pontiac jam nuts. It also looks like not one gasket was actually replaced. Just schmeared with the orange goo. Stay tuned for more surprises.
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just thought of something. How was the pushrod adjusted? I mean if it was adjusted with the lifter intact then once the lifter came apart that adjustment is lost. There should have been at least a half inch of extra space there probably letting the pushrod go wild. So did the morons adjust the rocker with the lifter top dislodged like that? Because I had to unload the rocker "lock" to get it loose. Cripes what morons these guys were.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, if that isn't bad enough, Pontiac rocker nuts are now scarce as hen's teeth. I can probably scrounge up 16 from my big bucket-o'-nuts but I then it is going to be hard to replace them. I'm sure the morons just tossed them. After all, RACERS need adjustable Chinesium nuts.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
And here I thought the moron who previously owned my car, only screwed up the one.

Like the zip-tie holding the radiator to the core support and the 3 feet of rubber fuel like going from the stock Buick hardline on the driver's side, aallllllllllllll the way over to the SBC fuel pump on the passenger side, which too, was zip tied to the front sway bar. the missing transmission inspection shield, the bucket seats only bolted in on the outside edges, the disconnected speedometer cable from the side of the transmission because it interfered with the threaded rod shift linkage for the non-neutral switch containing cheap-*ss floor shifter.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
And here I thought the moron who previously owned my car, only screwed up the one.

Like the zip-tie holding the radiator to the core support and the 3 feet of rubber fuel like going from the stock Buick hardline on the driver's side, aallllllllllllll the way over to the SBC fuel pump on the passenger side, which too, was zip tied to the front sway bar. the missing transmission inspection shield, the bucket seats only bolted in on the outside edges, the disconnected speedometer cable from the side of the transmission because it interfered with the threaded rod shift linkage for the non-neutral switch containing cheap-*ss floor shifter.

That sounds like a guy I used to know. He did all of those exact same things and worse on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor