Would a hidden ignition start button be theft deterrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I'm thinking about running a start button in a center console panel when I get or make one. Would this deter someone trying to steal the car? Would run a hot wire for solenoid around the opposite side of the car/main engine harness so its more difficult to hotwire from under the dash. Basically a thief would have to get under and check where the ign wire is routed to to steal it. is my thoughts,
opinions/thoughts?

Same concept as a hidden starter kill, so yes. I would not classify it as a deterent because the would be thief woul not know about it beforehand, but it could throw someone off. I used to work in a stereo/alarm shop in NY years ago and we did starter kills all the time. The best one was a hidden microswitch behind the dash. You would use a card to get to it, no slots or anything like that. We basically found places in and around the dash where you could slide in a card and then take it apart and mount the switch behind it. We had several cars towed in after failed theft attempts.

I would take it step further though and use a relay so you can run small guage wire to the switch and a smaller switch if you want.

Anything that makes it more difficult for a thief to steal your car makes it less likely to be stolen. Nothing is foolproof, but you can improve the odds.

Ya thanks guys, wouldn't want to run a relay, would run the solenoid wire away from in the opposite direction of the existing pink wire, and just cut the old starter solenoid wire out. A fuse or two in there so its not a hazard, and run it in a different direction to the original wiring harness. Give it an actual on/off toggle switch and hide it somewhere not near the dash. like center console, backseat, under rear seat somewhere in reaching distance (mines different than stock).

If someone is hard up enough to come on the forum and then go find the car and know how I wired it, then eff it I had a really bad day.

custom442 said:
Ya thanks guys, wouldn't want to run a relay, would run the solenoid wire away from in the opposite direction of the existing pink wire, and just cut the old starter solenoid wire out. A fuse or two in there so its not a hazard, and run it in a different direction to the original wiring harness. Give it an actual on/off toggle switch and hide it somewhere not near the dash. like center console, backseat, under rear seat somewhere in reaching distance (mines different than stock).

If someone is hard up enough to come on the forum and then go find the car and know how I wired it, then eff it I had a really bad day.

I would leave the old wire in place just to throw them off

67rstbkt said:
I would leave the old wire in place just to throw them off

It'd throw them off but then if I were stealing the car I'd just splice or touch that old pink wire to a 12v source or track it to the dash area and get goin down the road. It makes more work if they have to find the new wire and track back

edit - maybe do the same thing with a coil wire and put a toggle where its more easily seen labelled ign, like on the dash or on center console. Then theyd be like wtf? ok found it. And then nothing. suckers

It's very difficult to steal a new car nowadays without the key, the car thieves solution?, break into the house and take the key.
Use force against someone breaking into your house over here and very likely YOU wil go to jail!.
Older cars are very easy to steal and a determined thief will get your car, you need to make it too much trouble for them. This could be anything from putting it in a vault with an armed guard to locking the doors.
It's your car - how much do you value it? If you have a mint high dollar classic it makes sense to spend time and money keeping it safe, on the other hand a non classic in rough shape probably only needs something to deter joyriders.
Anything is better than nothing, use some common sense, for example a lot of cars are stolen over here because the owner started the car up on their driveway and left it running to warm up while they go back indoors. A lot of insurance companies won't pay out if the owner did that. :roll:

rustyroger said:
It's very difficult to steal a new car nowadays without the key, the car thieves solution?, break into the house and take the key.
Use force against someone breaking into your house over here and very likely YOU wil go to jail!.
Older cars are very easy to steal and a determined thief will get your car, you need to make it too much trouble for them. This could be anything from putting it in a vault with an armed guard to locking the doors.
It's your car - how much do you value it? If you have a mint high dollar classic it makes sense to spend time and money keeping it safe, on the other hand a non classic in rough shape probably only needs something to deter joyriders.
Anything is better than nothing, use some common sense, for example a lot of cars are stolen over here because the owner started the car up on their driveway and left it running to warm up while they go back indoors. A lot of insurance companies won't pay out if the owner did that. :roll:

Ya mine's not too high value but a lot of sentimental value and starting to get some pieces that can't be had anymore, just wondering if anyone else has done similar things rerouting ign/starter wires and how it worked for them.

In Texas if someone breaks in a residence you can shoot them in the face with a shotgun and have a newspaper article written about your bravery. Now if you're in the street or somewhere else all other rules apply. But a person takes their life in their own hands when they break into someones home here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor