Would a hidden ignition start button be theft deterrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never forget when i was a little kid my uncle had a badass 66 chevelle (zz4, doug nash 5 speed, 12 bolt 3.73's burgundy with black interior, decent body) and on thanksgiving, of all the days in the year, it was half *ss stolen. he had block of switches for the electric fan, fuel pump, starter, etc. so they were slightly confused by it at first sight but they managed to get it rolling down the block and got caught by a patrolling cop (the odds of that are slim to none around here), my uncle got his car back and we all lived happy ever after... the next story is a sad one and the reason why when my 71's done i'm taking every antitheft precaution i could imagine.... My grandpa had an mint absolutely MINT 1965 GTO, navy blue, white vinyl top, white vinyl interior, 4 speed, 389 tri power, 390 gears when he was younger. he got drafted and made it back home, came back and specifically bought this car, so it had alot of meaning. one night while they were living in whitestone queens it was stolen right from in front of their place. he searched high and low, asked all the shady characters he knew if they heard anything and he never found it. to this day he gets a little emotional about his 'ol GTO and the fun times he had in it. thats the short version of the story but the point is Take no chances with youre pride and joy

I would mount the battery in the trunk, and put a key operated master kill switch somewhere outside the car. That's what I've seen on a couple of cars at some local "cruise and show" nights. ..............mickey-d :lol:

hmm kill switch is another good idea. So far I'm planning external kill switch/battery relocate, a hidden starter toggle, and one of these: on the dash for the coil hot wire http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-GD ... cp_e_1_img along with the ign/starter combo key thats in there stock

They are ugly as sin, but the ignition collars for around the steering columns are good also. I have a fake alarm system, a real deeply hidden alarm system with starter interrupt. Ignition kill switch, and I wired my car pager (from my alarm) to go off when the doors are opened, even if the alarm is bypassed and/or the battery is removed. I feel they will most likely have to tow this car to take it, but given enough time I suppose they could get around everything. Once we move, I will probably get a tracking system of some kind. I just need to research more to see which ones are hardest to block/overcome.

83hurst-olds said:
They are ugly as sin, but the ignition collars for around the steering columns are good also. I have a fake alarm system, a real deeply hidden alarm system with starter interrupt. Ignition kill switch, and I wired my car pager (from my alarm) to go off when the doors are opened, even if the alarm is bypassed and/or the battery is removed. I feel they will most likely have to tow this car to take it, but given enough time I suppose they could get around everything. Once we move, I will probably get a tracking system of some kind. I just need to research more to see which ones are hardest to block/overcome.

Would have to cut my dash more to fit the ignition collar I hate doing that its already starting to get hacked up. Maybe the fake alarm will help, trying to do all this for around 50-80$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-6-To ... 5642ce4770

I'm thinking bout getting one of those, and wiring it to my door switches (for the floor lights), and putting a kick button on/off switch under the door near the frame. Kick it, system's off, open door and drive around. Open the door without kicking the button and it starts blaring. like a real cheap alarm. And one of those fake alarm lights then it'd be kinda like a real budget alarm.

tc1959 said:
I have a collar didn't have to cut any of the dash. Also have hidden switch that kills the HEI.
this is my dash maybe I could fit it have to look at it later:
3631587444_da9260fe61.jpg

had a 83 el camino last year. someone try ed to steel it. busted out the door lock with a screwdriver and smashed the column. they didn't find my ignition kill switch in the ashtray. kill switches work if they're in a hurry.

deathproof said:
had a 83 el camino last year. someone try ed to steel it. busted out the door lock with a screwdriver and smashed the column. they didn't find my ignition kill switch in the ashtray. kill switches work if they're in a hurry.

thats what I'm thinking thanks, I'm more worried about someone who wants to be in an out, if I can get 3 or 4 deterrents or switches and things it should work well

As mentioned if someone wants your car they will get it. I personally build my own anti-theft/alarm systems and will not share specifics on an open forum. I will give a few thoughts and tricks however.

First is actual deterrence. If there is an indication that there is an alarm and anti-theft system in place there is a good chance a would be thief will bypass the car altogether. I personally don’t put much faith in the window decals as they are too easily overlooked and why advertise what system the thief has to overcome.

I like these (although I normally prefer the red ones). As stated they flash when the key is off and automatically shut off when the ignition switch is in the run or accessory position.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLASHING ... 2eac7435d9

They are pretty bright when flashing but unobtrusive when off. On my 83 it’s mounted in the screw hole to the upper right of the cigarette lighter.

dashcluster.jpg

I’ve also come across 2 types of door lock cylinders retainers on G Bodies; the standard U shaped clip type and a clip that forms a box over the whole cylinder assembly. The box type can be a bit more cumbersome to install but makes it harder to pop the lock with a slim jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor