Wow, I almost forgot to post this race story lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK so if you don't know me. I have a 1980 Malibu Classic 4-door. Motor is a bone stock 305 (except the duals), stock TH350, and 3.73s 24" tall tires and aftermarket rear suspension. The car is still bone stock looking, except that I changed to 15" steelies with dog dish hubcaps.

So the other night I'm out cruising with the GF. We had the kids earlier so we still had the baby seat in the back seat lol.

Anyway, so I get lined up with this Skyline (those right hand drive imports). I don't know what all he has done to it, but here's what I could see. It was flat black, had fancy aftermarket wheels and tires, aftermarket exhaust, no hood, big intercooler, lots of chrome, and a very loud turbo.

He has his GF sitting in the car with him. He gives a little rev, so I do the same thing and he just kinda laughs. Then the light went green and we were off. We only raced for about 2 blocks because we spotted a cop. But it was the 30 year old 4-door sedan all the way lol. I think his front bumper was right behind my door, because I could hear his turbo. It's so fun beating sports cars with an old 4-door lol.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
he wasnt trying.

a turbo skyline should put down 400hp in a much lighter car, not to mention if it was rhd, it would be AWD and he would have pulled 4 + cars on the launch. AWD > * on the launch.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
But he didn't lol. And I'm pretty sure he was trying. Just like the mustangs and the new HEMI trucks do. But they all lose to the 4 door lol.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
thats funny, maybe your car makes 400? haha

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Well he didn't specify it being a newer skyline GTR. Even so, GTR models older than 1998 were at best mid 12 sec. cars. More like 13 sec. and if not in tune...

Or it could've been a stock engine that some guy turboed, never know. The skyline isn't a magical street machine, it was just a fast old car and a normal one by today's standards

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Or he could have been confused, or it could have been rebadged, or . . .
Phoenx, Take your car to the local drag strip on test and tune night. Its probably less than $20. You will have FUN and its eazy any racer can show you what you need to know to make a pass in ninety seconds, and you will gain lots of perspective. Fast or quick is relative. Licensed tagged full exhaust regular tired pump gas daily drive kind of cars are generally considered fast or quick if they can break into the 13s or go over 100mph in the quarter.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yeah, I plan to take it to the track this year. I just gotta wait for it to go to the shop next week. Getting new front springs, new shocks, GP brace added, rear sway bar added, and then get the pinion angle adjusted. Then play with my timing a bit lol.

Another thing about the skyline. Those cars are geared for road racing, not launching. And having 3.73s with 24" tall tires is like having 4.11-4.56 with the tires most guys run. Plus, the guy was really lacking in the shifting department. I talked to a guy that knows him. And I guess he just got the car, so maybe he still hasn't gotten used to it yet. But either way, I beat a Skyline (yes the older style but it's RHD) with mt 4-door and a stock 305 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor