Wrong carpet color

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
I went to install the carpet from ACC and found it was the wrong color. So return it you say. Well due to surgerys last year, I did not realize it untill yesterday, 1 year and 1 month from purchase.
Carpet is for a 81-87 Cutlass. Color is Maple need Oxblood.
Dye it? Swap with somebody. Advice

The Maple, Claret, and Oxblood always get mixed up/ mixed together. I don't have any advice other than what you wrote yourself, and those are your only options aside from simply living with it. At least Oxblood dye is not only darker, but it's also easy to find.

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd
The Maple, Claret, and Oxblood always get mixed up/ mixed together. I don't have any advice other than what you wrote yourself, and those are your only options aside from simply living with it. At least Oxblood dye is not only darker, but it's also easy to find.
How can I find oxblood dye?

FRom my experiance with colors, the maple/maroon in our cars ('81, '83-'84) is red with a bit of a brown hue in it, the oxblood/claret/burgundy used in '85-'87/'88 is a dark red with a purple hue. The '80 claret would have more of a purple hue than the later shade. Then there is '82 redwood that is very close to the maple but slightly darker from it's brown hue. To most this wouldn't be noticed but after I got into mixing paint I started to see details like this from matching the mix to color on the car.

How can I find oxblood dye?
Just need the color code off the Fisher plate on the cowl or SPID sticker on the trunk lid. SEM or PPG can mix it but be aware in my PPG info they suggest redying/recoloring with the matching color to bring back the original color. Going from maple to claret may not get the shade you want.

G Body Parts has decent dye and sells on eBay but they're currently out of 1591 Burgundy as well as 1600 Maple. IIRC, the color that matches the early Maple is listed as 1593 Red, not Maple, and it's been called Claret as well. Due to that type of confusion I may be picturing the wrong exact color for Oxblood. My El Camino interior is done with Rust-Oleum 248925 Satin Burgundy Fabric & Vinyl "dye" which is similar, I think. Eckler's is selling some, as are a few others, and I've included screenshots and a photo of a can left over from the El Camino.

Corvette Oxblood
Screenshot_20240520-185956~2.png

Other red that's close:
Screenshot_20240520-190102~2.png

Oxblood
Screenshot_20240520-190253~2.png

Claret? Blood? Who knows?
Screenshot_20240520-190413~2.pngScreenshot_20240520-190421~2.png

What I used:IMG_20240520_190614916.jpg

Another option:Screenshot_20240520-190227~2.png

Those are just 6 of many, many color options that are close to or even claim to be Oxblood. As pagrunt stated your best bet is to use the actual color codes, and even if it doesn't turn out to be correct it's got to be close. I've successfully covered dark colors with lighter interior dye before, and I believe 565bbchevy covered Black with Camel. It's easier to cover light colors with dark ones, but I have to say that my Black carpet dye started rubbing off my Maple carpet before long and needed touched up repeatedly. It was the factory carpet though and I didn't steam clean it prior to spraying.

Hopefully some part of that is helpful.

I forgot to add my disclaimer that even new all interior parts did not 100% match
Absolutely agree. When the door panels, dash, and trim match you know it's been sprayed. I'm a sucker for a nicely done red interior that doesn't look tacky, and it's apparently quite difficult to achieve. I say it's tougher than blue or black but maybe on par with getting the correct shade of Camel or Creme.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor