I did the best i could 🤷‍♀️

1716252403869.jpeg

Thread officially :hijack:

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Absolutely agree. When the door panels, dash, and trim match you know it's been sprayed. I'm a sucker for a nicely done red interior that doesn't look tacky, and it's apparently quite difficult to achieve. I say it's tougher than blue or black but maybe on par with getting the correct shade of Camel or Creme.
I've been dealing with the dark maple in my '81 since day one & now the camel in Jr.'s '79. Aftermarket doesn't want to accept all five different colors as most of us need. The '85-'88 burgundy is one of the better covered colors, the '78-'79 red is easier cause it's very close to the older years red. '80 claret is kinda covered but most aftermarket thinks it's also a '81 color. '81, '83-'84 maple is slim pickings. Forget about '82 redwood, better off using the maple. Now for the camel tan/gold I'm just getting into what fun it'll be finding matching shades.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I've been dealing with the dark maple in my '81 since day one & now the camel in Jr.'s '79. Aftermarket doesn't want to accept all five different colors as most of us need. The '85-'88 burgundy is one of the better covered colors, the '78-'79 red is easier cause it's very close to the older years red. '80 claret is kinda covered but most aftermarket thinks it's also a '81 color. '81, '83-'84 maple is slim pickings. Forget about '82 redwood, better off using the maple. Now for the camel tan/gold I'm just getting into what fun it'll be finding matching shades.
Wow. Sounds like you've been through quite a bit with the red, and maybe that'll point you in the right direction of who has quality color matches for the tan. Thankfully the only vehicle I have that I'd like to maintain a somewhat stock appearance has black everything.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Wow. Sounds like you've been through quite a bit with the red, and maybe that'll point you in the right direction of who has quality color matches for the tan. Thankfully the only vehicle I have that I'd like to maintain a somewhat stock appearance has black everything.
This is why I like black interiors. If it wasn't for the investment I've made to make things maple over the years I would of gone black.

Reactions: 1 user

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
FRom my experiance with colors, the maple/maroon in our cars ('81, '83-'84) is red with a bit of a brown hue in it, the oxblood/claret/burgundy used in '85-'87/'88 is a dark red with a purple hue. The '80 claret would have more of a purple hue than the later shade. Then there is '82 redwood that is very close to the maple but slightly darker from it's brown hue. To most this wouldn't be noticed but after I got into mixing paint I started to see details like this from matching the mix to color on the car.

Just need the color code off the Fisher plate on the cowl or SPID sticker on the trunk lid. SEM or PPG can mix it but be aware in my PPG info they suggest redying/recoloring with the matching color to bring back the original color. Going from maple to claret may not get the shade you want.
I have worked on many cars from the 60's. That being said, I understand there were various color shades that were used.
The interior in my car was changed over from brown to the purple hue of burgandy/ oxblood. So no spid just have to go by the color for a 87 Cutlass. Even thought about changing the carpet on the lower door panels to match.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have worked on many cars from the 60's. That being said, I understand there were various color shades that were used.
The interior in my car was changed over from brown to the purple hue of burgandy/ oxblood. So no spid just have to go by the color for a 87 Cutlass. Even thought about changing the carpet on the lower door panels to match.
Maybe the '80 code 79 claret could be the way to go. If a shop could do a spray out in semi-gloss of this & the '85-'88 code 79 claret could be a way to the shade to would be the closest. I also wonder what else in my chip book that could be close with that just right purple hue.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This is why I like black interiors. If it wasn't for the investment I've made to make things maple over the years I would of gone black.
I stayed with the red to save money. By the time I was done, could have gone black for a little less, even with buying new door panels :blam:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 85-88 Dark Claret code 79 is the darkest burgundy I've ever seen for G-bodies. As described, it's different than the earlier version of the same code 79. It's that purplish hue that I'm not a big fan of, but I didn't design it. Honestly, to me it looks too dark at night. But on the other hand, it looks more high-end than the run of the mill blue/black/gray/tan interiors in the daylight. An acquired taste for many.

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
Maybe the '80 code 79 claret could be the way to go. If a shop could do a spray out in semi-gloss of this & the '85-'88 code 79 claret could be a way to the shade to would be the closest. I also wonder what else in my chip book that could be close with that just right purple hue.
Many years ago I stripped out a rusty 79 Lemans. It had the color interior you described. I was going to ask you if that was the same as the late 80's color.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor