Wyotech??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
im a senior in highschool and i am trying to get into a school that i can learn more on how to do the thing i love the most, work on cars. i have watched powerblock on spike and i see numerous commercials about Wyotech, and how its such a good place and all.. would anyone recommend going there? i am interested in Street rod and custom fabrication as my area of study. 16 month programs sound nice.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
went there for 9 mo. for auto and diesel. i didnt like it. they try to cram to much into short classes and you dont get enough hands on time to really know what your doing. so when you get a job they basically have to teach you everything. with me i ended up deciding i didnt want to make my hobby a job and ended up working on appliances instead. i like it much more and i get paid more then i would working on cars where i live. its really up to you though.. i had friends that took chassis fab and street rod and they liked it but it depends on the teacher to. they're always bringing in difforent people to teach there so nothing is constant and "routine" for the new teachers. they basically wing it and hope for the best. while i was out there they re made all of the text books and had alot of errors in them. we would go to test over the material and if the test was wrong or the material they didnt care. you didnt get points back or anything. it was a joke

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
i should add that for 9 months i had over $30k in student loans and i'm still paying them off. i have friends in college that have been going for years and still cant touch that bill yet

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
huh, which campus did you go to? i live close to the blairsville PA one, my local community college offers an automotive technician course(2 years)

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
It's a great decision, don't base your chioce off of one opinion, schools different for everyone.

My best friend is graduating next week from wyotech, the blairsville campus, we live in johnstown right now. He got hired to SKIP BARBER RACING right out of wyotech, he leaves a week after graduation.

It's all what you make of it.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
In my opinion you'd be better off getting your foot in the door of a hot rod/fabrication shop and learning that way.

My brother has a friend that went to one of those schools and I really question the things they taught him. Or at least what he says they taught him. He set up a rear end in a Mustang for a guy and when I asked if he wanted to borrow my dial indicator and magnetic base for checking backlash, etc. He said no, he was taught to do it by sound. :roll:

Yeah, and to this day the guys rearend makes funny noises. LOL

It's also a misconception for a lot of people that these "trade" schools, like ITT Tech, etc. are less expensive than a 4 year college degree. My brother looked inot ITT Tech and had a recruiter come out to the house back when I was in college. The guy flat out lied to him about the cost of tuition. Telling him that he would spend more going to 4 years of college than 2 years with them.
Of course I chimed in and let him know that my college had cost less than half what they were charging and he really had nothing to say.

However I'll tell you that I find college to be overrated as well.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
pimplogic said:
huh, which campus did you go to? i live close to the blairsville PA one, my local community college offers an automotive technician course(2 years)
i went to laramie. like CamaroAdam73 said its all what you make of it. but you have to realize his buddy may have this awesome job but your competing against everyone else that goes there and every other wyotech to get that job. sure you can get a job working for porsche, audi, you name it, but you have to be THE BEST out of everyone. highest grades, attendance, attitude, work ethic, classes taken play into it etc. they dont just give jobs away to the average kid there. trust me. i had a kid in my classes that would go out every night and party till 2am and get waisted, he would wake up an hour before class and study then go to class. he had strait A's without even trying and i believe he got a job to audi. point i'm trying to make is, there is always someone smarter, i'm not saying you cant do it. i'm just saying average people like me just dont get the opportunities.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I haven't heard a lot of good reports about the quality of the graduates. Like it was stated above, you wing your way through, get hired, and learn on the job. I have also heard from several sources that it is very expensive.
I went to a university for 2 years before learning that I didn't want to be an engineer. I enrolled at a local community college in their automotive program. I was able to start in the second term since many of the math, speech, etc. credits had already been satisfied. I was thrilled to be able to work part time, go to school, afford books, rent and food and graduate at the top of my class without owing one red cent. I recommend checking your local CC before making a commitment to a specialized trade school. As with anything, you get out what you put in. Several guys I went through the program with were idiots and I still wouldn't let them change the oil in my lawn mower. Wherever you go -- study hard and learn as much as you can. Once you graduate you will need to stand on your own and prove your worth to your employers.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
thanks everyone, my counselor says the same thing, Sinclair (my local CC) has a 2 year AUT (automotive tech) course that teaches you a lot of stuff in two years (brake sys, engine performance, etc) sounds like a solid plan for now, plus my counselor is gonna get a prof to come in from sinclair to explain the course to me. i love working on cars (though frustrating at times) but its my "happy place" and i love the accomplishment from it :mrgreen:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I wouldn't bother with WyoTech.
I looked into that place briefly when I was your age, and didn't really like what I saw.
It seemed cool at first, but like others have mentioned, as well as a couple people that I knew that went there, all said that there is WAY too much that they cram into too short of time. You're not on the subjects long enough for them to soak in.

The cost was the biggest thing.
I went through my local technical college for auto body repair, and it was 1/10th the price of WyoTech.
$20,000+ per year for WyoTech, or $2,500+/- per year at my local technical school.

Of all the people I've met that went there, only 1 of them hasn't been totally worthless.
All the others were cocky because they "went to WyoTech", and just couldn't back it up with their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor