Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
techg8 said:
DoubleV said:
techg8 said:
Hell, the roller cam versions like yours were/are actually worse than the earlier 307's for performance.

because of the heads? 5a vs 7a?

Yes. The intake ( A5 ) is crap too and you can't run a bigger/better intake with the 7A heads because of the severe port mismatch you'll get, so you'll never be able to make any decent power up top. The 7A heads and the A5 intake go together and they suck for performance. The 7A headed/A5 intake VIN Y 307's also had smaller exhaust manifolds which further hamper power. So in case you haven't figured it out yet, the later 307's ( both VIN Y and VIN 9's ) suck for performance and should be avoided at all costs IF going fast is what you're looking to do.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
olds307 and 403 said:
Unless someone bothered to add those parts on, it should be the vin 9. The carb, if original is calibrated richer than the vin Y. Post the numbers on the carb, one of the experts will know.

I believe it was a replacement carb - 17084258

its not one of the H/O or 442 original numbers.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That sucks but you are probably not planning on the CCC anyways.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
olds307 and 403 said:

I am keeping the CCC system.

I did pull the cam - .440 lift so it is a Vin9 setup.

working on pulling the pistons out and then I'll evaluate how deep I want to go into a build of it. Probably looking at a rering.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
techg8 said:
olds307 and 403 said:

I am keeping the CCC system.

I did pull the cam - .440 lift so it is a Vin9 setup.

working on pulling the pistons out and then I'll evaluate how deep I want to go into a build of it. Probably looking at a rering.

Don't put too much money into it because in the end you're not going to be happy with the performance and if by some miracle you actualy DO like the performance, that feeling won't last long and you'll want a better engine.

If it runs, just toss it in and live with it until you can get an Olds 350 or bigger.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would think of port work and milling the heads, if you are doing anything to it. 8 to 1 with horrible flowing heads, just over 100 cfm stock intake/exhaust isn't going to cut it.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
So its going to be a straight up overhaul of this engine....bearings, rering, gaskets.

In the process of cleaning the pieces up at this time.

Soakig the lifters in SeaFoam to loosen up some of the deposits.

I am not worried about"performance" necessarily, just performance achievable by this 307 in relatively stock form.

I think I will go with 2.5" exhaust and a cold air intake but thats about it.

Thanks for the help guys.

DeltaDevil88

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2011
Dallas,TX
techg8 said:
So its going to be a straight up overhaul of this engine....bearings, rering, gaskets.

In the process of cleaning the pieces up at this time.

Soakig the lifters in SeaFoam to loosen up some of the deposits.

I am not worried about"performance" necessarily, just performance achievable by this 307 in relatively stock form.

I think I will go with 2.5" exhaust and a cold air intake but thats about it.

Thanks for the help guys.

A 307 with a couple low budget mods is usually a happy medium, 2.5 exhaust and CAI are great maybe and a lower temp tstat (depending on where you live) can advance timing if wanted and run premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor