Yet another cylinder heads question

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
Got most everything I need for my head swap from summit. But I have one question.
Do I HAVE to find TDC to swap the heads? Can't I just mark the heck out of the distributor and reassemble everything before I start lashing the valves? So when I start turning it over everything will be back in place?

johnny79 said:
Got most everything I need for my head swap from summit. But I have one question.
Do I HAVE to find TDC to swap the heads? Can't I just mark the heck out of the distributor and reassemble everything before I start lashing the valves? So when I start turning it over everything will be back in place?

If you already have the heads off, why not set the number 1 piston to tdc? It's simple to do, not sure why you would not do it this way?

I don't have the heads off.

The important thing is to keep the distributor gear in sync with the cam. If I just remember to put it back the way I took it out I don't need to worry about TDC at all, or am I missing something?

So I mark the distrib. and remove.
Remove everything including the heads.
put it all back including the distrib.
start turning over to lash valves.

Seems like TDC is only REALLY important if I were removing the cam, right?

Sure, you should be able to do it that way. You will have the heads off for the swap, so setting TDC will be even easier. Personally, I always like to go with a known reference other than a mark or piece of tape that could get smudged off or fall off. If I were doing it, I would just set TDC, that way I know for a fact that everything is as it should be.

I see your point. Wasn't thinking about lining up the distributor to point to #1. Thought I'd have to mark it regardless. I'll go ahead and do it that way at least I'll know where I can start lashing!

67rstbkt said:
Sure, you should be able to do it that way. You will have the heads off for the swap, so setting TDC will be even easier.

Yes and no. With the heads off it makes it a lil harder to know for sure of you are on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. So yes it's easier to see it on tdc, but it's harder to know for sure that you won't be 180 off.
Although it is also easier to see the lifters, so if you are paying attention you should be ok.

Just to add a lil bit, you are going to bring it up on number one to run your valves anyways. Or are you worried about the oil pump drive lining up? Cus that's a non issue. It will "drop in" as soon as you bar or spin it over.

after you adjust your valves an easy way to find TDC with intake manifold on is to watch the intake valve. once you see it close turn it over 90*...or just line up 0 on your balancer to your pointer. there is TDC. then stab your distributor in so the rotor matches with the #1 plug terminal. then just give the distributor alittle advance (about 1/4" clockwise movement). hit the key and set timing. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor