Yet Another Old Guy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Howdy Howdy G-Body people. Nearing retirement and don't really care for fishing!
Don't own a G-body at present but we did drive one for years back in the day,
Looked just like this, (but somewhat less 'new'!) We called it The Batmobile!

View attachment 134908

It had a 305 and ran great. Nice cruiser. Stupid looking back end, though!
Anyway, I've got a project in mind and think a G-body chassis might work perfectly. The wheelbase is the same at 108".
I'd like to ask if anyone can tell me what the average measurement is from the ground up to the top of the carb on these.
The car I want to modify is a bit low in the hood and need to figure out if i can get it all in there. I don't want a hood scoop!
And how 'bout lowering - how low can these be lowered to get the top of the motor down?

This looks like a cool forum with lots of members and good ideas floating around.
If and when I get started on this I'll start to post updates.
Should be fun!
WELOCME!!! As usual, I'm a day late and three dollars short lol...Just seen your post!

Reactions: 1 user

cardude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
Astoria, OR
Up front it's not a big deal. But any questions about the rear be advised that the frame under that wagon donor you reference will be different/unique from your run of the mill gbody coupe sedan.

Same would be true if you looked at an El Camino frame.

So when guys give measurements, try to be specific with them about what they're pulling numbers from. Which version of the frame you use does have slight differences.

I was wondering about that actually - need to get ahold of a shop manual that shows the different frames on a side view with dimensions.
I have the Corvair body specs, sort-of anyway. It seems to me that the firewall might be a bit close to the front wheels here. Don't have the actual measurement yet.
corvairDimensions.jpg

Anyone know of a thread that has frame specs?

cardude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
Astoria, OR
Welcome! Sounds like a fun build.

Thanks for the links there, Geezer!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor