Yet another rear axle fitment question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
I know I cringe at seeing the endless rear end questions, but here goes anyway. What about the previous generation GM midsize cars A-body I guess 1973-77, they seem to be 8.5". How different are they?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
here's a listing for rear ends...

http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

I was looking for an rear from 64 to 67 Chevelle since it`s 2`wider but the rear and the gears are not that easy to find at a decent price so I`m going to put ford 9`` together since there are plenty around and they are easy to modify

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
79elky454ss said:
I know I cringe at seeing the endless rear end questions, but here goes anyway. What about the previous generation GM midsize cars A-body I guess 1973-77, they seem to be 8.5". How different are they?

I believe they are 8.2" ten bolts not 8.5 if I remember correctly. Also I've read the upper control arms are very limited in travel before binding unless you go to an adjustable arm.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
stomis said:
79elky454ss said:

I believe they are 8.2" ten bolts not 8.5 if I remember correctly. Also I've read the upper control arms are very limited in travel before binding unless you go to an adjustable arm.

the ears are at a different angle which causes binding if stock uppers are used. There is an adjustable upper that is sold that compensates for the angle..

3019a_MED.jpg

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/i ... nt3q5hm2b7

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
Thanks all, I already have a 7.5 with Auburn posi and I bought 342 gears and install kit for it. I just saw a 75 Monte at pull-a-part which made me rethink my plans. Probably not a significant enough upgrade to change my plans.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just blew up the pinion gears on a 7.5 auburn posi. I`m going to rebuild the auburn and sell it cause it`s not a posi that will take very much power. I am running less than 400 hp and have not really abused the auburn but the pinion gears have alot less meat on them than the pinion gears of an open carrier. I never realized that till the auburn gears blew up and saw the difference in the size when installing an open carrier that I`m using for now.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
pontiacgp said:
I just blew up the pinion gears on a 7.5 auburn posi. I`m going to rebuild the auburn and sell it cause it`s not a posi that will take very much power. I am running less than 400 hp and have not really abused the auburn but the pinion gears have alot less meat on them than the pinion gears of an open carrier. I never realized that till the auburn gears blew up and saw the difference in the size when installing an open carrier that I`m using for now.
I realize the Auburn is a pretty lame choice, but the price was right (it came in a frame I bought) It should get me rolling for awhile.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I never heard any bad things about an auburn and mine worked great till it exploded..I got it used so I don`t know what abuse it was already exposed to and I am also running a standard so that put a little more strain on it as well.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
pontiacgp said:
I am also running a standard so that put a LOT more strain on it as well.

Fixed :D

I would go for the 8.2 and ditch the 7.5 for some cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor