Young blood from alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

redster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Hello, i found out about this site while i was at work one day, been lurking for a few days and decided to register after i bought a 1981 Cutlass Supreme Calais w/ 267 v8 (i suppose thats a true "gutless cutless" :lol: ). I always liked old cars (my last being a 1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd...R.I.P...) and have been looking for a small project to work on.

She has a bit of surface rust, the frame is in decent shape, but it definitely needs a new bumper, if anybody could help me out with this it would make my life a lot easier. Getting a little tired visiting the junk yard this often!

Here are some pictures that the previous owner took:

cutlass1.jpg

cutlass2.jpg

cutlass4.jpg

cutlass3.jpg

It runs pretty good, transmission doesn't slip at all from what i could tell, but she does burn a bit of oil (comes out through driver side valve cover breather). It's not too too much but you sure can smell it. The PCV valve is gunked up, hopefully replacing that will give it an easier time throwing that sh*t back through and out and exhaust. It's in a hot rod shop now getting a tune up (carb job, hoses, etc). I can do a bit of mechanical work but have a hard time tackling the bigger and more complex aspects of it. I prefer doing some body work and painting along with general maintenance :oops:

Anyways, i'll shut up now, happy to be here, and i've seen what you guys can do and did to your cars, made props!!

David

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Welcome aboard, David.

Looks like you've found a nice project!

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Welcome aboard.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Hey David, welcome to the site. I'm over in BC . Might have some parts you could use, including a rear bumper, or just the chrome if that's all you need.
Really love the car, especially the color scheme, and I love the 81 interior fabric. My first Cutlass was an 81 Calais t-top with the 267. sh*ts for power, but a nice cruise. Had the g-body bug ever since.
Lots of people on the site here, with the knowledge and willing to help. Hopefully the shop gets it tuned up for you.
Take a real good look at those frame rails in the rear from the wheel well back. If they are good, do anything you can to keep them from rotting any further because once they start to go, they go fast, especially if you're driving year round.

redster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Ah, thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

I will totally hit you up for parts mr evil! As far as i know all i need is the rear bumper (chrome et all) as its rusted right through. Apparently someone ran into the back and thats why it rusted so quickly, i'll take some pics when its up on the hoist tomorrow at another shop for a safety inspection.

I personally hate that color scheme haha, i told myself there is enough surface rust and fading that i ought to give it a rattle can job until i figure something out!

Danginharl

Apprentice
May 23, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Welcome!

Check out Alberta G Bodies on Facebook.

:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor