Your thoughts on the W30-style hood for '81-'88 Cutlass's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthvaderolds

Apprentice
Dec 28, 2008
Chicagoland
Andrew I would go for it ! After seeing what you have done with the front FE3-X airdam and the mods you have done to the front facia to make it functional , unlike Darth 1, I would mod the W25 hood and make it work with the lines as you said. No doubt in my mind u would
make it look good and work. I wish they had done that in the first place I might of still had the hood on the car of it worked with the lines of the car better. I will say my FE3-X got more attention with the functional W25 hood,but the FE3-X cowl scoop does the job better of get ram air into the 4 barrel, the c
ar loves it. Do the rework on the hood, I am going to send your pics of what you,ve done to Bill, I think he wIll love what you did great work. i

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Well, I can't take credit for any header panel mods. I'm leaving mine pretty much stock since its an '87 front clip that I feel matches the orginial FE3X a little more.

Custom442 here on the board is doing a custom header panel that is looking pretty sweet though. I'm going to use some of his ideas on filler the bumper covers to smooth them out.

Thanks for the "go ahead" on the hood. ;) I'm going to talk with my neighbor who's a fiberglass wiz and see if he wants to help me tackle this.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I set my W-25 hood on the car today and yeah, no clearance. But, I think if I mess around with the droping the air cleaner another .5" to 1" and get a shorter air filter, I might be able to make it work without having to do any surgery to the hood.

My problem is I have a Dominator sized throttle body with the 7-5/16" flange so its tough finding air cleaner/filter assemblies for it. I have a K&N 16" assembly now with a 1" drop but I need more. I know I can get a 2" drop base for it but at that point I think I'd be hitting my fuel rails.

I might try fabbing my own just to see what happens.

And the more I look at the hood, the less those angles on the scoops bother's me. I think it just depends how you look at it. If you catch it at just the right angle, yeah they look way off but I think its more of an optical illusion.
Like in one of your pics above Angelo where your standing with Bill. They angles really look pronounced, but when I'm standing looking at my hood, they don't look that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor