Yup, I'm new... and with questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
But I've been browsing the forums off and on for a little while. I've got an '82 Cutlass Supreme that has a dead *ss 305 in it. Yup... some one has already been there and fk'd with that. 250c transmission (have a turbo 350 uni to go into it), but it does have a G-Force crossmember in it and "custom" Flowmaster duel exhaust (which needs to be fixed).

Anyways, picked up an 85 350 out of a C20 (it's a GM reman! or not...) and the Heads don't match, so my buddy has a set of vortec heads. Bought the Edelbrock Performer Intake for the heads, looks like my G-body headers will fit the heads, got all the new gaskets to fit the heads. Mild Edelbrock cam already installed, lots of new parts just cause... but comparing the two EDB intakes I've got, I'm curious about the distributor. Will my old one work? Will I have to shim it or .... more money. I did see at work that Accel has a vacuum advance distributor for a "97 1500 with stock deck height" so I'm optimistic that my old Accel distributor with HEI will work, but I would like to know if I've got more issues that I need to look into. I'm sure if I did a thorough investigation of the forums the info is there, so either post a link to relevant threads or what not. From what I've heard and read, vortec heads on an old block are supposed to be an easy swap using much of the same stock items, and giving better flow and compression then the stock early mid 80's 350 heads.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Header fitment can be a b*tch on these cars so make sure the headers you have are for this application.
you may find that raising the engine off the motor mount a bit on the Passenger side of some help.
Both of mine went in from the bottom. And mine are the Jegs 1.75" primary long tube to 2.5" collector.
Clears everything without hitting, but close in some areas....
The stock vortec heads are bad *ss. and They flow good numbers.

Good luck with your build and keep in touch. Lots of great people here willing to lend a hand....

jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor