Zz502 owners, what oil are you using??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that's a heavy oil, GM recommends after break in 5w30 synthetic. You'll see the engine rpm's climb alot quicker with the lighter synthetic oil

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
That's my plan. Undecided on the brand at the moment. I also have ebrocks power package installed for the 502. Don't really know why the previous owner used this weight of oil but I continued with it for the past 6 months. Now that the breaking period has passed, I'm looking for a change.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the break in GM calls for 5w30 non synthetic, Personally I think the 20w50 is too heavy, the engine's clearances are too tight for that oil. The oil I prefer is Amsoil and their filter.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I guess I added the Amsoil after you saw the original post. We use Amsoil racing oil in all our race engines and they last a long time even with the abuse.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you look at the marketing of Amsoil you'll notice Amsoil will never do a comparison with Royal Purple, the reason being is the two oils are very similar. I like the Mobile 1 as well. I seriously over heated the 305 I used to have a few times and I think the Mobile 1 synthetic saved the engine and me a towing bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor