new shifter - QuickSilver

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hey folks,
got and installed this shifter a few months ago, but never posted pics. I got out today, took it appart and took some pics so you guys could see how it went in.

It's a QuickSilver, hooked up to my 700r4. I bought the "universal" so it can pretty much be addapted to fit any Auto trans up to 4spds. The instruction sheet is fairly explanitory, but the pictures are tough to read. It does a good job explaining how to install the parts supplied. But it's tricky if you are using your own custom setup.

First trick was mounting the shifter to the floor. I did not want to drop the trans to drill holes for a bracket, and unlike most setups, I wanted to keep my factory consoul and shift plate. So, I simply used the bracket that the factory shifter is attached to. I had to cut the rivets and grind down the extra bracket arms. Here's what it looked like:
DSC02812s.jpg

DSC02813s.jpg

DSC02814s.jpg

I would not recommend trying to do this in one night when you're outside the city at a friends :lol: cuz if the new shifter doesn't work, then you can't use the old one you just cut up :wink:

When bolted to the bracket, the shifter was in the same location as the factory shifter. Almost all the holes were already there, few had to be enlarged, and just one new hole drilled.
DSC02816s.jpg

DSC02817s.jpg

When the consoul went on, there was interference with the metal frame of the consoul and the front body of the shifter mechanism. The metal frame of the consoul has a front and back face that covers the factory shifter assembly. I had to do some trimming on the front face, seen here:
DSC02818sEDIT.jpg

DSC02820sEDIT.jpg

DSC02821sEDIT.jpg

Once the consoul frame is trimmed and installed, it looks like this:
DSC02822s.jpg

DSC02823s.jpg

This bracket also puts the shifter at the perfect height.
DSC02824s.jpg

DSC02825s.jpg

The B&M logo looks a little low, but the shifter is in [Park]… When shifting, the B&M logo is high enough to see.

Here is a picture of the two bolt locations that hold the consoul to the dash. If you have these bolted up and the shifter still hits the consoul frame, you need to do some more trimming.
DSC02831sEDIT.jpg

Next came the shift plate. I did not want to use the chrome one supplied with the shifter, and wanted to keep my factory look. But since the new shifter has a longer travel thru [P] to [D1], the stick would hit when downshifting. I had to trim the back inside face to allow full travel of the shifter.
DSC02836sEDIT.jpg

Here’s the finished product:
DSC02839s.jpg

DSC02840s.jpg

DSC02841s.jpg

I think over all it turned out well. The install was not as smooth as I had hoped, but since when are costum setups simple? I did have to spend time later to level the bracket. I used shims and washers to get it just right.

Unfortunately, my shift marks do not line up, because of the rachet indicator… But I might sort that out later on too.

I did not talk about the shifter cable… But I will say that you MUST use the one they provide. Your stock cable will not work with the rachet shift points. You may also need to enlarge the floor hole the cable comes out of, as the supplied one is stiffer and does not flex much.

Hope you guys like my setup,

Feel free to comment!

Reactions: 1 users

78Calais

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2008
MN
You did a good job. I was able to drill the holes with my trans in without any problems. I ended up making a metal plate and mounting it under the factory console top and removing the factory gear indicator. That allowed the indicator on the shifter to be seen and more importantly the reverse lockout to be accessible. Her is a pic of how mine turned out.
normal_78shiftercloseup.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks good man..like it was made there.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the comments guys,

78Calais, I think your shifter turned out great. I think you showed me this picture earlier in the year when I was deciding which one to get. Do you have anymore pictures of the setup?

KrazyKyle, is that a shifter you have in your Cutlass?

I'm really glad you guys like the setup. I was really unsure about trying to fit the factory shift plate and all the cutting I had to do... but I think it turned out okay.

I posted a poll earlier in the year because I was really torn over which shifter to get. I was looking at the TCI StreetFighter, the B&M MegaShifter, and this one. I narrowed it down to either the TCI or the QuickSilver, but still wasn't sure. The reason I wanted the TCI was just to try something new. It also doesn't have any visible logos, and I think the Mega is too over-used... I just wanted to stand out.

Last minute though, I went with the QuickSilver. I had used it previously in my first car, a 78 Camaro. They are a popular mod on 2nd gen F-bodies, on those th350s. I liked the feel and specially liked the nostialgic look...

Later though, I think I might switch to a wooden knob... The chrome is really flashy.

If anyone has pictures of their setup, and pics of the install, post em up!

Cheers,

Reactions: 1 user

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
Sweet job! Love the step by step photos. Looks really clean and factory. Gotta love the quicksilver
hey Bumpin... I should have mentioned this earlier, but I saw your QuickSilver on youtube and thats what inspired me to get one for my GP... it looks super clean with your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor